Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My platelets seem to be low when i had blood test for

my platelets seem to be...
my platelets seem to be low when i had blood test for sihypertension in august..mine 139 and apparently normal is between 200 and 400
12/22/2012
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-
Other then hypertension do you have any other known medical disease?
Any history of any bleeding?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?
I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Lowered platelet count or Thrombocytopenia can occur due to a variety of causes.As per Mayo Clinic,the values of normal platelet count would be 150-450,000/ml,As the life of a platelet is only 10 days,new platelets are continually being made in the bone marrow and destroyed in the spleen.A lot of inherited/genetic diseases may lead to lowered levels of platelets,these include autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid Arthritis/SLE,bacterial sepsis and viral infections,myelodysplasia,Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura(ITP) and Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura(TTP),Vitamin B12 defic iency,bleeding or clotting disorders,Hemolytic-Uremic Syndrome,malignancy/leukemias,bone marrow depression and certain medication.The medicines involved will include sulfa drugs,heparin,quinidine/quinine,anticonvulsants,gold salts and anticancer drugs apart from others.Minor fluctuations occur normally and investigations are usually done if the levels fall below 100,000/ml.Your physician/PCP will examine you and investigate as per the physical findings into the specific cause of lowered platelets.The treatment will be specific to the cause found.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor