Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have had an ibs flare for 5 weeks..seems to be on the mend

i have had an ibs flare for 5 weeks..seems to be on the mend now..only thing is i was on enthromycin for a week before this and i am wondering about c diff..i had no blood in stools ..no fever...but i did have diarea and sever tummy pains also no appetite..i now have appetite back and am eating normally..i still have a lot of wind in my tummy and my stools are small but sot and formed..no 5 in bristol stool chart...should i ask my dr to do stool sample..i am female 56 //diagnosed with ibs 10 years ago
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer:

RickMD :

That is a very good question.

Customer:

i meant to say stools soft but formed

Customer:

going 2 or 3 times in a day

RickMD :

C difficile infection can be diagnosed a number of ways. One way to predict if it is present is if a patient has a lot of diarrhea, recent antibiotic use, fever, abdominal pain and a stool that has a foul, distinctive odor (once you have smell it, you don't forget it :(

RickMD :

But that is not unusual for IBS....

Customer:

i did not have fever and i cant remember if it smelt bad

RickMD :

The other way to rule it out (but not really rule it in....) is with a cytotoxin assay test. If this test is Negative, then there is a 95% chance you do not have c. difficile.

Customer:

i had tummy cramps,direa,wind and acid reflux

RickMD :

You would know the smell as is it very bad and not like your usual feces smeall.

Customer:

i did lose my appeitite and lost 5 lbs..it has since returned and i am eating normally..only thing now is still abit of tummy ache and a lot of flatulence

RickMD :

You can have your stool tested for the toxin using an Elisa test and if 3 samples are negative you most likely don't have c. diff. The other test, that I mentioned above, cytotoxic assay takes longer to get a result.

Customer:

i have also put back on 3 lbs

RickMD :

From what you have said I don't think you have c. diff

Customer:

my doctor diagnosed it to be ibs..i vertainly had no blood or fever

RickMD :

But if your want to be sure your doctor can do one of the newer, PCR, tests which give results in one day.

RickMD :

If you have a history of IBS that is a very reasonable diagnosis.

Customer:

what does that test consist of

Customer:

what is pcr test

Customer:

does it always present with blood and fever

RickMD :

The PCR test takes a small sample of your stool and looks for actual pieces of the c. difficile DNA ( it is like magic lol!) in the lab. It can be done in even the smallest of hospitals as it is a simple, self contained kit that can be done on the benchtop.

Customer:

i will as her tomorrow..i have to see a specialist with the views

RickMD :

No. Nothing in medicine is "always" but that can be one of the presenting signs. As I noted in above, many times the diagnosis requires a bunch of signs, symptoms and tests. No one thing says "Ah Ha! C. diff)

Customer:

of having a colonoscopy

Customer:

thanks

RickMD :

During a colonoscopy signs of infection/inflammation would be seen and a stool sample collected as well as biopy

RickMD :

biopsy.

RickMD :

my pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick