Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I heard that increased appetite as a side effect of SSRI

treatment usually begins during the...
I heard that increased appetite as a side effect of SSRI treatment usually begins during the termination of treatment. Is that right?
12/10/2012
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

That is a very good question and, since each person responds to SSRI's differently, there is no hard a fast rule concerning possible weight gain on these medications.

RickMD :

As far as the SSRI class of antidepressants, Paxil seems to be more prone to this side effect. It also tends to occur while on the medication, rather then treatment is terminated.

RickMD :

Also, weight gain on antidepressants is a complex issue. It can occur for many reasons, such as increased appetite as mood improves, decreased activity without decreased caloric intake and, yes, the medication itself.

RickMD :

So. What is the take home message? Increased appetite should not be thought of as a side effect to be expected as you come off of SSRI treatment but rather as a multifocal issue related to your overall condition.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD