Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. What

therapy do you know of...
I have been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. What therapy do you know of other than oxygen?
12/10/2012
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer:

are you there Dr. Rick?

RickMD :

As you might already know, pulmonary hypertension is a form of high blood pressure where the arteries (high pressure blood vessels) in your lungs become narrow, destroyed or blocked. This affects the right side of your heart making it weaker and, eventually, causing it to fail.

RickMD :

Yes. Can you see my post?

RickMD :

There are many treatments other than oxygen. The first line of therapy involves medications and, if this fails, surgery.

Customer:

I can see your post. Thank you. I was in Ohio State university hospital, and they just kept saying Spend a lot of time with friends and family Goodness doesn't sound good to me

RickMD :

The first line therapy involves vasodilators such as flolan. This works very well but has to be given IV, which many patients can do at home. Another drug of this class is called ventavis and it is inhaled as a mist using a special vaporizer.

RickMD :

No. That doesn't sound good to me either :(

RickMD :

But, I can assure you that you are getting State of the Art care at OU.

RickMD :

There is no other way to say it -- this is a very serious disease that is difficult to treat and, even with surgery, almost impossible to cure.....

RickMD :

I am sure that there is nothing that I will tell you here today that your doctors at OU don't already know about and have either tried or have considered trying......

RickMD :

That being said, I am happy to answer any questions you have :)

Customer:

Thanks

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD