Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I'm a 21-year-old female. I've been feeling nauseas on and

Hi, I'm a 21-year-old female. I've been feeling nauseas on and off for a couple days now, but not enough to vomit. I've been burping frequently, and I feel like I get full much more quickly than normal. Sometimes I feel a slight burning in my throat. I've been trying to look up what could be causing this, and it looked like acid reflux might be an option? Could it be something more?
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Have you had any other symptoms, such as diarrhea, headache, muscle aches/pains etc?

RickMD :

Do you take any medications or have any medical problems.

Customer:

I do not currently take any medications.

Customer:

I've been feeling tired, but I think that's due to not eating as much since I haven't been feeling well

RickMD :

Do you have any pain in your upper right abdomen, especially after you eat a fatty meal (like a hamburger etc)?

Customer:

No

RickMD :

Ok. That's good.

Customer:

I haven't tried eating a fatty meal recently, though?

RickMD :

that is OK....

RickMD :

Any chance you could be pregnant?

Customer:

No, I'm a virgin.

RickMD :

Ok. That rules that one out pretty well :-)

RickMD :

Well, there are a number of reasons that you could be having this upset stomach. It could be something as simple as a flu bug, a GI bug, a bit of food poisoning, acid reflux (as you suggested), a stomach ulcer.....the list is very long and branching.

RickMD :

Would you like to try some home therapy over the weekend and see if you start to feel better?

Customer:

Yes, please.

RickMD :

Ok

RickMD :

First of all, limit your diet to bland, easy to digest foods such as breads, soup, cooked veggies, scrambled eggs etc.

RickMD :

drink a lot of water and avoid coffee and alcohol

RickMD :

you can purchase a stomach acid reducer, such as omeprazole (prilosec) over the counter. Take one of these tablets a day. That should help with any acid reflux you may be having.

RickMD :

Also, try to take it easy this weekend. On Sunday, you can set back, relax and watch the Green Bay Packers bet the Minnesota Vikings (I live in Wisconsin and just had to throw that one in...sorry. I couldn't help myself lol!)

RickMD :

If things are not better by Monday, or if you get worse, the you should see a doctor.

Customer:

Haha, I'll try :)

RickMD :

My wife and I are actually going to the game :-)

Customer:

Yes, I was planning to go to the student clinic on Monday.

RickMD :

Our middle daughter chipped in for tickets for us.....

RickMD :

That sounds like a good plan. Hopefully, however, these simple home treatments will make you feel better.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

I think so. Do you know what type of tests they'd do if the symptoms do not go away? I'm a little worried about medical expenses...

RickMD :

They might just examine you and try some empirical treatment. But, depending on what your exam shows, they might do an ultrasound of your gallbladder, and blood work. Doctors love to do blood work...... ;)

RickMD :

Anyway, the folks at the Quack Shack (as it was know in my day....) won't rack up huge medical bills....they know you are a student.

Customer:

Haha, I hope not. Thank you!

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend and I hope you feel better soon.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** the game!

RickMD :

I plan on it! Thanks.