Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was told today that i have strain of hsv for mouth or cold

sores according to testing i...
i was told today that i have strain of hsv for mouth or cold sores according to testing i took last week. i was told dont worry about by phone. i have had no manifestation of anything that i know of. not one cold sore ever. i have read this is highly contagious. I have kids that i kiss all the time. what do I do? what is this?
11/7/2012
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

The virus that causes cold sores is very, very common.

RickMD :

You do not have to worry that you will infect your children or loved ones.

RickMD :

This is not the same virus that causes the sexually transmitted herpes.

Customer:

what do I do? this is disturbing. ive been married 15 years. what changes do i make?

RickMD :

There is nothing that you need to do. You don't need to make any changes, it didn't come from sexual activity at all.

RickMD :

A huge percentage of humans will test positive for antibodies to the virus that causes cold sores, even if they never remember having an outbreak.

Customer:

so i cannot trace where this came from? If its a virus how will it affect the body over time?

RickMD :

I know that you are upset about this but it really is very, very common and doesn't lead to any real problems, nor do you have to change your behavior. If you have a cold sore, just wash your hands if you touch it and if it is on your lips, don't kiss others until it heals...

RickMD :

No. It can not be traced, and it doesn't need to be like you would do for a case of STDs

RickMD :

Why, may I ask, were you tested for HSV1?

Customer:

My husband tested positive for syphilis which came about through an affair.

RickMD :

Studies have shown that more the 2 out of every 3 humans have evidence of exposure to this virus.....

RickMD :

Ok. Sorry to hear about that. HSV1 has nothing to do with his affair. You have probably had this virus since you were a child

RickMD :

Some reports show that over 90% of adults will test positive like you have.....so no surprise that you show evidence of HSV1

RickMD :

That is why they told you not to worry over the phone.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

thats what the dr office said. they are testing me for everything because of my husband though. i have to get a pap smear to test for warts of some kind on my cervix. he also had genital warts. I dont know if im off subject here but how does that affect our intimate relationship?

RickMD :

The genital warts are caused by a virus, called HPV. The are very contagious.

RickMD :

They can be treated by a number of therapies

RickMD :

If you had unprotected sex with him just once after he had the warts you would have a 70% chance of catching them

RickMD :

There is a vaccine available but if you are already infected that won't really work.

RickMD :

The virus that causes genial warts can also lead to cervical cancer. I'm sure that is why your doctors are going to do a PAP.

RickMD :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes I am here. just taking it all in

RickMD :

I would hold off on sexual activity with him until everything, including the genital warts, are evaluated and treated.

RickMD :

Ya...I'm sure this has not been an easy time for you.

Customer:

I have been abstaining. His treatment is almost done. My confidence is in God that i am in the 30% as I have been faithful. thank you so much for your kind response and information. God bless.

RickMD :

My pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD