Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I'm a 39 year old male. i'm 5'10" and 155 pounds. I dont

Hi, i'm a 39 year old male. i'm 5'10" and 155 pounds. I dont smoke and i use to drink occasionally but i have not had a drink in 3 months. I go to my doctors on a regular basis and I have no known health problems. My question is when I go to the doctors my blood pressure is like 135/80 or like 139/83. My doctor never seemed concerned. I decided to go and look for a blood pressure monitor. I did some research and heard good things about the brand Omron. I went ahead a bought the Omron BP785 10 series upper arm blood pressure monitor. The monitor does a calibration check for each time I check my pressure (it has a light that stays on showing this). It also has a light that says "ok" if the cuff is on correctly. I usually wait five minutes before taking it and sit in a room with the door shut and no noise around me. My blood pressure usually ranges between 110/71 to 116/77. I'm a little confused on which is my more accurate blood pressure, when I'm at home or when I go to the doctors?
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question.
Based on your description, you don't seem to have any symptoms or any other health issues at this time. All your BP readings are within normal ranges. Just for your information as long as your BP is below 139/89, you don't have to worry. It is normal to have fluctuation in BP from one time to another. There are several factors that can affect your BP reading such as time of the days, resting status, stress, body activity etc. As long as your BP remains within a normal range, there is nothing much to worry about. I also want to make it clear that one occasional high reading is also not significant. It is a persistent high BP that requires medical attention and management. It is also a good idea to take an average of several readings to minimize the effect of fluctuations.
Please let me know if you have any specific question for me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do you know if the Omron BP785 10 series blood pressure monitor is a good one?

Omron is a very good brand. Their products are convenient to use and have several features that area helpful for non medical personnel. However, the BP machine used by your doctors and health professionals are more accurate and well calibrated, but these home based BP machine are also good for BP monitoring. Thus, whenever you feel like your BP readings are persistently higher, then that is a time to see your doctor for proper evaluation.