Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am 61 years old and have been trying to lose weight for

I am 61 years old and have been trying to lose weight for the past year with little to no success. I have been working out (tread mill and stationary bike) for 30 minutes each 3 X per week and also working out 3 times a week with a Jillian Michaels video that uses weights (30 minutes) I currently weigh 200 pounds and I am trying to eat between 1200 and 1400 calories per day. Why can't I lose weight and what am I doing wrong? I'm getting very discouraged with my lack of success. Help!
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

It does sound that you have been working hard and doing the right things in order to lose weight.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you gradually push the exercise program up in terms of minutes per day to 40 > 50 even 60 perhaps do this in 2 sets. Exercise is the most powerful tool in terms of raising your metabolic rate and this should help you over time....

Anthony Bray MD :

You may wish to have a couple of possible medical obstacles ruled out #1 hypothyroidism >> have your doctor check your thyroid function to make sure that this is normal... #2 Cushing's syndrom>> have your doctor check your 24 hour cortisol level to make sure that this is not overly high....

Anthony Bray MD :

Do eat 3 times a day!! If you skip meals then this will lower your metabolic rate and work against your goals.

Anthony Bray MD :

Take a vitamin B complex as the B vitamins are related to your energy metabolism. Also in the same regard take CoQ10 100mg/day as this too is related to your energy metabolism.

Anthony Bray MD :

If you tolerate it OK then a moderate amount of caffeine (coffee/diet soda/ Vivarin) also is helpful to raise your metabolic rate. You want to avoid excess of caffeine and avoid taking this in PM hours to avoid the problem of insomnia. Watch for potential side effects such as palpitations, anxiety, insomnia or stomach upset.

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that if you make the added effort to have 2 work out sessions per day that this should help you to accomplish your weight loss goals....

Anthony Bray MD :

You may drink a diet soda as frequently as you like . This does not add empty calories as a regular soda would....

Anthony Bray MD :

It would be of interest to check your temperature on occasion. Normal range is 98.6 plus of minus 1.3 degrees... if you are on the low side of normal then this would tell you that your meatobolism is FOR SOME REASON on the low side.....

JACUSTOMER-qabjs79w- :

I have been checked several times for hypothyroidism and those test always come back "normal". I have never been checked for Cushing's Symdrom.

I usually have yogurt for breakfast (non-fat), mid-morning snack after exercise -- one slice of whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter, salad with vegetables (2 tablespoons of dressing on the side) if I'm hungry in the afternoon I'll have fresh fruit, yogurt or vegetables and dinner is usually salad, grilled chicken/lean pork/lean beef. I stay away from junk foods and sweets as much as possible. I will try to increase my exercise to 60 minutes 6 days per week -- I think I can fit that in to my schedule.

My temperature always runs low -- how do I fix that?

Anthony Bray MD :

Have your thyroid checked as this could be a symptom of hypothyroidism for one. If you add caffeine then i think that you will find that this helps to raise your body temperature (as well as your metabolic rate)

Anthony Bray MD :

You might try Vivarin one 200mg tablet in the AM and one with lunch and see how this does....

Anthony Bray MD :

The regular exercise ALSO raises your metabolic rate even when you are later resting....

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this information is helpful to you!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions/ discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!!

JACUSTOMER-qabjs79w- :

I think my doctor is tired of checking my thyroid -- as stated earlier it keeps coming back "normal". What is Vivarin? I just started taking CoQ10 about a week ago, and will start taking Vit B Complex.

Anthony Bray MD :

Vivarin is just a brand name of a caffeine tablet. There are different brands. You could do this or drink coffee which a cup has about 100mg....

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have further questions then let me know. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. This would be much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

JACUSTOMER-qabjs79w- :

Thanks for your help!

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!