Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have taken Nyquil, as I have symptoms of a sinus

infection, and want to prevent...
I have taken Nyquil, as I have symptoms of a sinus infection, and want to prevent it.
I had an adverse reaction to it, and was very loopy, made me fall asleep, and then wake up and act in incoherent way.
Have you heard of this, and is it possible to be allergic to the ingredients of Nyquil.
I have discontinued taking it, but would like to find out what the adverse reactions are.
Thank you very much,
8/26/2012
Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Hello and welcome to JA!

I am Dr Iqbal, an expert in experienced in medicine.

Well NyQuil is a good drug basically available OTC and it has many ingredients .
Its main side effects are drowsiness, dizziness, constipation, nausea , vomiting and changes in sleeping pattern.Some side effects could be serious for some people and it depends upon the appearance of these side effects when seeing a doctor becomes important .They are blurred vision, palpitations and changes in cardiac rhythm , jaundice,skin rash etc.
Like any medicine some people could be allergic to its one or more contents.
The effects usually disappear once it is discontinued.
Please see a doctor in the ER if any of the alarming signs like hives , changes in heart beat etc. appear.
Hope i have answered your question.

Ultimate customer satisfaction is my goal. Always rate POSITIVE once satisfied, because only in this way we are paid. If you have any ambiguity, press REPLY button for continued conversation, or else press ‘Good Service “or ‘Excellent service “buttons.

Hi Dr. Iqbal,

I had confusion, dizziness, and was really out of it. I even urintated, and it was just a horrible experience. I have not taken Nyquil since, but I would like to know if you have heard of this kind of advere reaction before. Thank you, ***** ***** you're having a nice weekend,

Phyllis

Ok , well probably , by confusion you mean to say drowsiness .And these are the possible effects of the medicine and yes i have seen patients having these signs.But if you are feeling overwhelmed by these then you should see a doctor in the ER.Especially if you have problem with palpitations.This is the symptoms only you can tell me about .Zyrtec also causes drowsiness and dizziness and it is possible that it could be due to the use of this medicine also , as a synergistic action.Drink more water but if feel nauseous and have palpitations then see your doctor.
Good luck.
Dr. Haroon Iqbal

Hi Dr. Iqbal,

I saw my regular doctor today, and told him of my adverse reaction to Nyquil. He then asked me if I'd taken any other antihistimenes with it, and I take Zyrtec D. He felt the combination of the two would have caused the slurred speech, confusion, and sense of loopiness. Do you concur with this.

I've been taken off Nyquil, and taken of Zyrtec D.

I have sinus problems and he has me on Allegra, saline nasal rinse and ibuprofen for swelling.

I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Thank you,

Fondly,

Phyllis

Hi , Thank you very much fro your inquiry.
In one way doctor is right .This is because the ingredients of the NyQuil may cause severe drowsiness and Zyrtec D has also causes drowsiness .Now there is an additive effect of the what PHARMACOLOGICALLY called as SYNERGISTIC ACTION of the two drugs , menas together they add each other 's side effect .So he has put you on Fexofenadine which is an anti-allergic which does not normally cause drowsiness or sleepiness so characteristic of the ordinary antihistamines.
I think he has prescribed good medications.
Please press REPLY if want more clarifications.
Good luck.