Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

How does xanax xr stay in your system? should it be taken

how long does xanax xr stay in your system? should it be taken once or twice a day??
Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well it is usually claimed that Xanax XR due to it

Dr. Kaushik :

its capacity to act throughout the day ( 24 hrs) , needs to be taken only once a day..

Dr. Kaushik :

But , practical observation is that xanax xr one dose lasts anywhere between 12-16 hrs , and then it's effect wanes off , an that is the reason many clinical psychiatrists also use a twice a day regime in cases of severe anxiety and panic attacks..

Dr. Kaushik :

So, answering your question, ideally xaanx xr needs to be taken only once a day because of the claim that it works throughout the 24 hrs of a day , but practically many times practitioners have been prescribing twice a day dosing of xanax xr , if once a day dopsing has not proved to be effective.

Dr. Kaushik :

So, if you are not reaping benefits from once a day dosing of xanax xr , you shall ask your prescribing doctor to put you on 2 mg xanax xr in the morning and 1 mg xanax xr in the evening after a gap of 12 hrs between the two subsequent doses, this shall take care of your present problem and allay your symptoms which so far have not been controlled by the present strategy of dosing.

Dr. Kaushik :

And most importantly you need to give this xanax xr drug atleast 3-7 days to start producing significant desirable effects as this much time is required for this drug to settle in your system and reach steady state plasma levels for it to make the desired effects.

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps..

Dr. Kaushik :

Wish you all the best..

Dr. Kaushik :

Please give me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards.