Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I recently tried to lift a snowmobile and now the right side

of my abdomen hurts as...
I recently tried to lift a snowmobile and now the right side of my abdomen hurts as well as down near my right hip. It felt like something pushed out or burst when I lifted. I don't feel any lumps or protrusions but the pain has gotten steadily worse since it happened. Its not bad but its been 4 days later and things haven't gotten any better. Starting to feel somewhat sick as well. Is it a hernia or is my appendix done for?
7/12/2012
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

It sounds like you have caused yourself to have a hernia.

RickMD :

I did the same thing myself a decade or so ago when moving large pieces of pipe when I was building a fence.

Customer:

I don't have any medical insurance so what are my options?

RickMD :

I don't think you have damaged your appendix.

Customer:

its not too painful but it is noticeable

RickMD :

Unfortunately, your only option is to get in to see a surgeon tomorrow morning for an exam and, if you have an inguinal hernia (as I suspect you do), have it fixed.

Customer:

is that why i don't see or feel any bulges?

RickMD :

Better to have it looked at because if a piece of intestine or tissue gets "stuck" in the hole and looses it's blood supply it can become an emergency.

Customer:

I have to work a ten hour shift in the morning unfortunately but I will have to have surgery then?

RickMD :

Only on TV is there always a noticeable bulge. I didn't have one....

Customer:

either this isn't going away without surgery is it?

RickMD :

You can try to get a special girdle or undies...here is a link

Customer:

what can i do for the pain?

Customer:

its only at a 4 out of 10 right now

RickMD :

No. It's not. As a doctor I, of course suffered for two weeks before taking to one of my general surgery friends......not a bad surgery and it usually doesn't have to be done right away.

RickMD :

The pain will not go away completely until it is fixed :(

RickMD :

The special undies will help......and not straining etc.

Customer:

how expensive is surgery since I am very poor.

RickMD :

At least you should be all better by the time the trails are open :) I just bought my first 4 stroke machine this year and love it

Customer:

trails? I'm in Minnesota

RickMD :

There are programs that give discounts, like at teaching hospitals and state programs that can help. I'd talk to the surgeon first then chat with the patient avocate at the local hospital...she should be able to point you in the right direction.

Customer:

Okay thanks for your help

RickMD :

Ya....I've heard about the issues the last few years. I live in Northern Wisconsin and the trails go right through my back yard :) I spend time in the western UP this year and had a pretty good season, about 3k miles.\

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a great winter and feel better soon

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD