Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Granddaughter was hit in the back by a hit softball ...

inbetween the spine and scapula...
granddaughter was hit in the back by a hit softball ... inbetween the spine and scapula - not on either bone. Area is developing a large bruise. Immediate first aid was ice the area.
What should be done overnight to prevent excess brusing or steffening. Keep area loose
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2012
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

RickMD :

Are you able to see what I am typing?

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system.

As long as she is not having any problems breathing, moving her arm, having any neck pain or other systemic issues then she should be OK.

I would place ice on the area for the first 24 to 36 hours being careful not to let the skin get to cold. You may also want to wrap that area with an ace bandage.

She might be more comfortable sleeping in a large reclining chair tonight rather then flat on a bed. For pain I would recommend age appropriate children's tylenol or something like that.

Nothing you do will make the bruise go away faster. As a matter of fact it may spread some and it will changes colors as it reabsorbs.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kids are pretty tough and she may not even be that sore or stiff in the morning. This, of course, would not be the case if it were you or me who got smacked by that softball ;-)
she's a tough kid. She's in a 128 team tournament ... what can she do to limit stiffness? Area is back just above bra line so tough to hold with ace ... should she keep moving area or not
Is she having any pain or stiffness now?
Pain yes ... local. Minor stiffness. What about Amica?
Then I'd not do any type of special exercises or limit her activity or movement in any special way. I'd just use the ice packs as needed and not worry too much.

I bet she will be fine and help take her team to Victory :)

I'm not familiar with Amica.

Is this helpful?
I see you have reviewed my posts. Is there anything else you would like to ask me today?

If not, then.....

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Sir, your answers were fine. My problem with the entire process of lack of speed, and hellish web page ... had to scroll all the way to the bottom everytime. My question and answer could have been handled in less than 3 min had we talked on the phone. Whjat's the downside to me giving you my phone number after I've already paid?

Arnica, topical - very good

The system has no way to communicate by phone as we deal with people all over the world -- can you imagine the long distance charges :-)

I'm also sorry about the chat system. We were infected with Gremlins a bit ago and have had a heck of a time killing them off. When chat is up and running getting questions answered is actually fast and easy.

The feedback you give only applies to my answer not how the computer system is working.

I have already informed the engineers that the glitches are really messing up customers experiences. Hopefully they will be able to fix things soon.

If you would be so kind as to mash the good to excellent (your choice) button as it pertains to my answer I would appreciate it.

PS. Thanks for the info on Arnica. I reviewed data about it and that should be OK to put on your granddaughters bruised area tonight.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD