Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have small blisters in the back of my throat and have seen…

I have small blisters in...
I have small blisters in the back of my throat and have seen two general practicioners - I wish to consult with an ENT Doctor, please. About three weeks ago, I woke up with a sore throat and some redness in the back of it. A few days later, about a half-dozen blisters the size of watermelon seeds appeared in the back of my throat. I tested positive for strep and a doctor prescribed penicillin which I took for 9 days - it didn't seem to help. I went to a second doctor and she prescribed clindamycin. I also had a throat culture and that was negative for strep. I've been on the medicine for 6 days and the blisters remain. What caused the blisters and why won't they disappear? Does it have anything to do with the earlier positive test for strep? Thank you, Paul xxxxxxxx
7/7/2012
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am an ENT specialist and will be glad to help you today:
- Do the blisters pain, especially when you eat or drink something?
- Have they decreased in size since you started the medicines?
- Do you still have a sore throat?
- Do you have diabetes or any other medical conditions?
- What medicines, if any, are you on?

I don't feel much pain - although throat feels a bit raspy at times. It feels OK when I eat and drink.

The blisters do not appear to have decreased in size the past two weeks.

I don't really have a sore throat - just raspiness or mild discomfort at times.

I don't have diabetes or any medical condition that I'm aware of. I did have lymphoma 10 years ago (for which I see an oncologist regularly), but haven't had any symptoms since.

I'm not on any medicines right now - just a multivitamin, vitamin C, glucosamine, and fish oil.

Dr. Das, did you have any more questions for me?

Thanks,

Paul xxxxxxxx

Mr. Pontinen,
Thank you for the added information.
The main cause for blisters at the back of the throat is infection - infection can cause the mucous membranes, as well as throat tissue, to become inflamed and bring about these blisters. They should however go down with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines.
Sometimes though, blisters can remain even after the course of antibiotic are over - this occurs mainly when the throat tissues are dry and the inflammation lingers although the active infection may have dies down. Anything which dries the mouth - Smoking, mouth breathing, dehydration etc can cause the inflammation to remain for quite some time.
In your case, it is likely that the strep caused the blistgers to form but you do still have an inflammaiton. the dryness of teh throat is what is causing the raspiness and discomfort.
Please drink at least 8 glasses of fluid s a a day - also gargle with warm salt water or chlorohexidene mouth wash - available without a prescription.
if you have not already been prescribed any anti-inflammatory, please take ibuprofen 200mg three times a day for 5 days.
Please get your blood sugar level tested - a high blood sugar level can cause infections and inflammations to linger longer than normal .
I hope this helps.
Please remember to rate my answer or click 'Accept' - it is the way I receive credit for working with you and compensation for my time. A positive rating will be appreciated.
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor