Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How does it take for opiates to enter urine AFTER ingesting?

how long does it take...
how long does it take for opiates to enter urine AFTER ingesting? for example, if a person injected a small amount of heroin at 4 pm, being clean beforehand, would it show up in a urine test by 5:30 pm? i know this is probably an unusual question.
7/5/2012
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello from JA
The half life of heroin is fast, the breakdown product they measure would easily be in the urine in that time frame.
Probably within 20 to 30 minutes...or less.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please select a 4 or 5 rating as this is how we are paid. Great service is my goal and if you are not yet satisfied please reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

but doesnt it need to go through your liver and kidneys before it can be in your urine? that only takes 20 minutes? i know this is a strange question. i am starting suboxone in 3 days so this is the last time im using. i have a job intereview at 5 and a urine test at 5.30 and i cant really go to an interview in withdrawal.
Sorry you said if you injected the heroin.
If you ate it?
Probably longer

In fact I have one reference that says 2 to 5 hours after use for urine.

So you might be OK

I don't trust that figure for injection....however, on standard drug tests they are measuring breakdown products.

The problem is if you are using steadily opiates will be detectible up to 5 days or more after use...so this is another thing to consider.

If it were only a single does and that is it...you might not detect that dose yet, but you will any earlier doses, for up to 5 days.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
ok well i havent used in 5 days before this and have been sick (obviously) but wanted to at least be well for this interview. i wont be starting the job for 2 weeks so that will be enough time to get settled on the suboxone. maybe if i use at around 5, just before the interview, i will be ok. i will have to chance it because if i show up the way i am now, i wont get the job anyway! so 20-30 minutes, or 2-5 hours.....hmmm
Some chance probably.
good luck
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician