Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My wife has an allergic reaction to epogene, but not to

Customer Question
procrit. Has anyne else reported...
My wife has an allergic reaction to epogene, but not to procrit. Has anyne else
reported this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
7/5/2012
Doctor: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Yes, this has been reported. The two medicines,while similar, have different chemical structures. This difference can have very different effects on the immune system of some patients.

RickMD :

Procrit is made using recombinant DNA technology and is identical to human erythropoietin and, as as such is highly hypo-allergenic.

RickMD :

Here is a very good article that investigated just this issue:

RickMD :

Curr Med Res Opin. 2003;19(5):430-2. Epoetins: differences and their relevance to immunogenicity. Haselbeck A.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I hope your wife continues to do well on the Procrit. Have a good day :-)

I need a copy of the Curr Med Res Opin. indicated in your reply.

Thanks

Ok. Let me see if I can get you at link to the article. BRB
here is the link to the abstract of the article. I am unable to find a free source for the complete text but you may be able to contact one of the authors for a copy:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13678480

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD