Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My son has pink eye and he was taking

polymyxin-b/trimethoprimopthth soln for five days...
My son has pink eye and he was taking polymyxin-b/trimethoprimopthth soln for five days. His eyes are still red, but the itching has stopped. He did have some eye crust today for the first time since he got pink eye. He tells me that that his vision is fine. He is currently out of the country. Is there anything special that he should be doing besides washing his hands.
7/4/2012
Dr. James
Dr. James, Doctor
Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

hello

Dr. James :

Did your son have a recent illness (i.e. cold or flu)?

Customer:

no

Dr. James :

in contact with anyone else with a pink eye?

Customer:

not that we know of

Dr. James :

wears contact lenses?

Customer:

no

Dr. James :

Pink eye is commonly caused by a virus. it may take 2-3 weeks to resolve.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i am just worried since he is in europe right now and i am here

Dr. James :

since his vision is fine and the symptoms are mostly better, then he should be ok to continue the same treatment course.

Customer:

we were told to only use the drops for five days and stop

Dr. James :

if there is change in vision or the symptoms are worsening, then he may need to see a doctor there.

Customer:

should he stop

Dr. James :

he can continue the drops until the bottle is done.

Customer:

should he continue to take the drops

Dr. James :

but if it is pink eye caused by a virus, then the drops are not necessary.

Customer:

what kind of symptions should we watch for

Dr. James :

he can hold off and just use plain artificial tears.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i will have him use artifical tears

Dr. James :

worsening symptoms being change in vision, pain, double vision, swollen eyelids.

Dr. James :

if worried however, he would have to use his own judgement to see a doctor locally.

Customer:

his eyes are still red, is that ok

Dr. James :

if it is getting better from when it first start, it should be ok.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i am all set

Dr. James :

thank you.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. James :

you're welcome.

Dr. James
Dr. James, Doctor
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James, Doctor