Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

Flank pain. How do you tell if it its muscle related or

Flank pain. How do you tell if it its muscle related or internal?
Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

Because I can NOT see, touch, speak with or examine you, nor do I have access to your complete medical history, labs, scans or medications, I will NOT be able to give you an exact diagnosis. If that's what you are expecting from me here, STOP READING NOW. Otherwise you may possibly give me a negative I BAD/POOR SERVICE rating, which is not helpful. There are limits to what can be done across the internet. PLEASE keep this in mind as you read my responses.

Coachrobmd :

Flank pain can be due to

Coachrobmd :

1. kidney stones

Coachrobmd :

2. muscle strain

Coachrobmd :

3. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) with spread to the kidneys

Coachrobmd :

Those are the big three of flank pain.

Coachrobmd :

They are differentiated by

Coachrobmd :

1. Urinalysis (U/A)- Of a UTI it will show one thing, another for kidney stones, and nothing for muscle strains

Coachrobmd :

2. CT scan will show kidney stones

Coachrobmd :

If you have fever, pain radiating from the lower ribs down the back toward the pelvis, this speaks of kidney stones

Coachrobmd :

If it hurts more when twisting or bending, this is more likely muscle spasms

Coachrobmd :

If it hurts to urinate, such as burning pain, that most likely is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).

Coachrobmd :

Please realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult.

Coachrobmd :

These are all differentiated by simple testing an a clinical exam, which I obviously can't do on you through the internet. If you were expecting that, I'm sorry to disappoint.

Customer:

Yes

Coachrobmd :

If the pain persists, and you develop ANY fever or burning, you need to be seen for a UTI or kidney infection as they can be serious.

Coachrobmd :

There is no way for YOU to tell simply because you can't analyze the urine.

Coachrobmd :

but your primary care physician (PCP) or general practitioner can do that for you.

Customer:

Hurts when bending or getting up.

Customer:

How long does it take to get over spasms?

Coachrobmd :

If the pain becomes INTENSE and radiates down the back, then you should head off to the ER because this is likely a stone and you're going to need pain medications pretty shortly.

Coachrobmd :

Spasm take a few days with heat and rest.

Customer:

No. only on flank Not down back

Customer:

Not intense, but been 3 weeks

Coachrobmd :

But by rest, i do NOT mean laying in bed. Only the first 24 hours should be spent that way. After that, gently walking and sitting in a chair.

Coachrobmd :

If not spreading down, it could still be a stone in the kidney pole.

Customer:

Right flank only.

Coachrobmd :

A Urinalysis (U/A) will show blood in the urine.

Coachrobmd :

You need a Urinalysis (U/A) to be honest. I can't differentiate without seeing you.

Customer:

No visible bllod in urine seems normal

Customer:

blood

Coachrobmd :

No, you don't see blood in the urine with stones. It is microscopic.

Coachrobmd :

If I had to guess, I'd say this was a muscle strain.

Coachrobmd :

And that responds to heat, Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and not exerting yourself.

Coachrobmd :

Some people also prefer a firm bed.

Customer:

I would agree but the time seems longer than normal to get over,.

Customer:

How long could a severe strain take?

Coachrobmd :

Not if you keep exerting yourself it isn't.

Coachrobmd :

A SEVERE strain in the back can take weeks.

Coachrobmd :

That's because you're always using your back when you walk and stand and it nEVER gets a rest.

Customer:

OK I will give a few more weeks, then see a doctor.

Coachrobmd :

That's why backs take so long to heal.

Coachrobmd :

Are you satisfied with all my advice today? Yes or No? If not, what else can I answer for you?

Customer:

Stones would be possible even if I have no history of them?

Coachrobmd :

Absolutely.

Coachrobmd :

There is ALWAYS a first stone before others occur.

Customer:

Pushing in area brings no severe pain. Pressure

Coachrobmd :

but this sounds more muscular to me.

Customer:

OK I am satisfied with your advice

Coachrobmd :

Stone are not made worse by pressure.

Coachrobmd :

============= Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the urge to leave a NEGATIVE rating of "BAD" or "POOR" service (or ONE or TWO STARS, depending upon your screen), please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I will be happy to do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Selecting from the RIGHTMOST 2 faces/stars is how I receive compensation for all the years of training that went into assisting you today. It would be most appreciated.

Customer:

ok I was just wondering if there would be pressure pain by pushing on it Theres not

Coachrobmd :

No, not with stones. It would not increase the pain and may make it feel better actually.

Coachrobmd :

That is not a way to differentiate between these three disorders.

Customer:

Ok. I will give it 2 more weeks max, then go in

Customer:

What over the counter?

Coachrobmd :

I wouldn't wait that long.

Customer:

I have to

Coachrobmd :

over the counter (OTC) medications include motrin, aleve, naproxyn, and tylenol.

Coachrobmd :

It's your decision.

Customer:

OK thanks will rate your answers now.

Customer:

Bye.

Coachrobmd :

Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

Bye.