Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have pain on my lower left side (just below belly button

height, but to the left)...
I have pain on my lower left side (just below belly button height, but to the left). If I cough I get a sharp pain, otherwise it I rub there it almost feels bruised. I am a 32 year old female. Is this something serious?
6/25/2012
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

Because I can NOT see, touch, speak with or examine you, nor do I have access to your complete medical history, labs, scans or medications, I will NOT be able to give you an exact diagnosis. If that's what you are expecting from me here, STOP READING NOW. Otherwise you may possibly give me a negative I BAD/POOR SERVICE rating, which is not helpful. There are limits to what can be done across the internet. PLEASE keep this in mind as you read my responses.

Coachrobmd :

On the left, there are not many organs other than the colon below the level of the navel. For women, there are also the ovaries to thinkg about.

Coachrobmd :

This pain you feel on the OUTSIDE to me, speaks of an hernia through the abdomen wall.

Coachrobmd :

A hernia is caused when the muscle separates and the underlying intestine tries to sneak through it and when it does that, it cause exactly the pain you're describing. If you have a c-sxn, this is even more likely.

Coachrobmd :

Coughing causes the intestines to push outward due to the increased pressure from the sneeze/cough/bearing down. Stomach muscles are designed to keep them IN but they WANT to get out.

Coachrobmd :

So, you have a couple possibliities

Coachrobmd :

1. ovarian cyst-- need a pelvic for that

Coachrobmd :

2. abdominal hernia-- need an exam for that

Coachrobmd :

3. abdominal wall cyst -- need an exam

Coachrobmd :

4. muscle strain-- gets better over one month.

Coachrobmd :

Please realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult.

Coachrobmd :

If you feel a BUMP there, then that goes toward a hernia diagnosis, as that means the intestines HAVE now found their way out. This is potentially dangerous and needs evaluation if that's the case.

Coachrobmd :

From what you've told me, I've given you

Coachrobmd :

1. possible diagnoses

Coachrobmd :

2. who to see

Coachrobmd :

3. how it's diagnosed

Coachrobmd :

i can't treat it without knowing which it is as all these items are treated differently.

Coachrobmd :

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Coachrobmd :

I guess not.

Coachrobmd :

So, that's my information I have for you.

Coachrobmd :

============= Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the urge to to leave a NEGATIVE rating of "EXPECTED MORE" or "HELPED A LITTLE" (or ONE or TWO STARS, depending upon your screen), please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I will be happy to do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Selecting from the RIGHT 3 faces/stars is how I receive compensation for all the years of training that went into assisting you today. It would be most appreciated.

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

There is no bump that I can feel at this point, is this likely a serious see a Dr. today issue or can it wait a few days for a regular appointment? Originally it was just pain when I coughed the past day the bruise like pain has started.
No, not necessary to be seen today. The danger is if it pokes through the abdomen and gets stuck. That's called an incarcerated hernia, and that can be a disaster.
If its' very painful, then yes, it should be seen quite soon.
if you develop a fever or diarrhea, it needs to be seen NOW.
Hernias can be tricky, so you should call the doctor office and speak with the nurse and be sure to be seen this week.
bruising is a little concerning in that it may have developed some bleeding, which is NOT good. If that enlarges, then you SHOULD be seen within 24 hours or sooner.
If i could just see you…
But I can't. As with everything, better safe than sorry, and I think being seen tomorrow or the next day is acceptable ASSUMING no increase of pain, bruising, fever, bump formation, or other new symptoms develop.
This is the very best information I can provide for you with the background limited details you provided. Please keep in mind the significant hurdles I face: I cannot see you, examine you, see your labs, review your studies, get your complete medical/surgical or family history, or most important or all, SPEAK with you like your regular doctor can. If you expected a definitive diagnosis or treatment, I'm sorry if this disappoints you. There are simply too many limitations for that to happen over the internet. If that WAS what you were expecting, please do NOT give this a NEGATIVE rating by selecting BAD SERVICE ("I EXPECTED MORE" [one sad face] or clicking on ONE STAR). Kindly don't rate it and ask me to find another expert to assist you. I'll refer you to someone else who may wish to go out on a limb with a diagnosis/treatment. I cannot do that and maintain my integrity. Thank you!
===========
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the urge to to leave a NEGATIVE rating of "EXPECTED MORE" or "HELPED A LITTLE" (or one or two STARS, depending upon your screen), please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button.
I will be happy to do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Selecting from the RIGHT 3 faces/stars is how I receive compensation for all the years of training that went into assisting you today. It would be most appreciated. Bonuses are also welcome.
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Thank you so much for ACCEPTING my answer. That was MOST generous. If you have any follow-up questions about the issue we recently discussed on JustAnswer.com, or any NEW items that may have come up as a result of my recommendations, please return to our original thread (see link below) and add a new post at the end. I'll get an email notifying me that you want more assistance. It's best to have the first line of your next post state "FOR COACHROBMD ONLY" so other experts won't become involved. If I don't hear back from you, hopefully everything turned out well. If you recall, your question related to: ***** ***** navel.
Go here to post your response (click REPLY), and I'll get an email notifying me you want to hear back from me: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6u2d3-pain-lower-left-side-just-below-belly-button.html
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD