Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had urgent watery yellow diarrhea most of the day. I

I have had urgent watery...
I have had urgent watery yellow diarrhea most of the day. I have pain under my right rib cage. Should I go to the ER
6/24/2012
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Is there any blood or mucus in stool? Since how long you have this exactly? Where exactly is the pain under ribs; middle, right or left? What have you tried so far? Regards
no blood in stool, not sure about mucus. This episode began this morning and continued into tonight. But I struggle with this frequently.Pain is under right ribs at about the 8th to 9th rib 5 inches lateral to my xyphoid process.aAn abdominal sonogram on my GB was negative for stones. This was done last week.
Thanks for your input. This is most likely to be due to viral infections generally called stomach flu. The pain in your stomach can be due to inflammation of the stomach lining called gastritis. Usually symptomatic treatment is sufficient in these cases. I usually advise my patients to take OTC tab pepto bismol twice daily for this. Moreover drinking of lots of fluids to avoid dehydration is required. Better option is Gatorade. Drink as much as you can. Moreover one should eat BRAT diet, its Banana, Rice, apple sauce and toast. This can take three to five days to settle. As per description this is not related to any gall bladder problem. So to conclude by following the above measures, you can observe yourself for 12 hours and if the symptoms persist then you can go to ER. If stomach pain increases or you feel that you get symptoms like ponding heart or excessive weakness, in that case go to ER straight away. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, if you have any question, please let me know. Please remember to send a great feedback. Take care of yourself, regards.
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Why do you think this isn't related to the GB?. My GP thinks it is and has ordered a pipida scan.
Thanks for your input. I am sorry for the inconvenience, the question gave the impression that you have diarrhea and pain under rib cage for one day. I have given my answer in that regard. Now it seems from your reply that your diarrhea is there for one day but pain under rib cage is an ongoing issue, is this so? Does that pain radiates to right shoulder and do you feel it more after you eat a fatty meal? Please reply so that i can give you my further opinion. Regards
you are correct. The diarrhea has been for one day this episode but this happens frequently and is accompanied by a pain in my right rib cage. Yes the pain radiates to my right shoulder but follows almost everything I eat including salad.
Thanks a lot for your input. First of all i am sorry for the inconvenience but actually it was not clear from your question. Yes this pain can be related to gall bladder, rather the pattern of pain is completely consistent with the gall bladder inflammation. Going for Pipida scan is the right move. However watery diarrhea is not a symptom of gall bladder disease itself. After you have given me this additional history, my answer is Yes, you should go to ER because they can investigate you in a better way at this time for gall bladder problem because right now you have symptoms. Please ask them to send stool for R/E and Culture so that the cause for diarrhea can be identified but for gall bladder pain yes this is the time to go to ER. Please try to consult a gatroenterologist because he is the one who can give you best opinion. I wish you good luck that you get well soon. I am sorry again for the misunderstanding. If you have any questions, please let me know. Please remember to send a great feedback. Regards.
HI, How are you feeling now?
Thank you for your follow up. I took pep to bismol after we spoke and felt better as far as the symptoms that night. I have a pipida scan scheduled for next week to rule out unrelated GB issues. I think you were right that, I had a stomach virus on Saturday. I was confused by the diarrhea since I have had the GB concerns for awhile, which is why I continued to ask about that.
General feedback: It's really difficult to describe all symptoms on this sight. I'm not a doctor and didn't know what specifics you needed. I don't feel like you asked enough questions before diagnosing and then It seemed as if you blamed me for not giving you the info you needed. You're the doctor- ask more questions. I was in pain and scared and then frustrated that I didn't know what to do
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor