Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had severe pain in my lower right abdomen that has

been going on and off...
I have had severe pain in my lower right abdomen that has been going on and off now for 6 months. I have had a CT Scan and Ultra Sound and they are not able to determine the cause. I have taken antibiotics and pain meds which seem to help in addition to a liquid diet, but the symptoms continue to return in high intensity. Is there any other tests or ideas you may have?
6/4/2012
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
Do you get any other associated symptoms with abdomen pain? How severe is your pain in 1 to 10 scale? is there any genital symptoms? Any history of pelvic infection or STDs? What kind of specialist are you visiting now?
Pain ranges from 5 - 8 and at times can be intollorable. I do not have any STD's and I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I am seeing my General Practitioner who has sent me for the CT Scan and Ultra Sound. He now is reccommending a Colonoscopy.
Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
Based on your description, you seem to have moderate to severe right lower abdomen pain for a while. I also see that you were evaluated for it with no specific findings. Just for your information, location of pain is a key factor, and in most cases problem is in the surrounding structures. Since you ultrasound and CT scan was normal, further testing is required which may disclose localized inflammation/infection. Infection/inflammation in pelvis/appendix, or part of colon in that area could be the issue. Thus, your next step will be colonoscopy and laparoscopy, these procedures will visualize the area to find out the cause of your pain. Based on your findings, you will be guided further.
Please let me know if you have any other question.
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

The pain is actually in the lower Left quadrant. I am sorry if I confused the issue. My only other question is what more can they see with a Colonoscopy versus the CT scan with Barium and Iodine. Also my Doctor wants to perform a Colonoscopy in his office and use Demoral to keep me quiet. I am not sure this is a good idea.

In that case localized problem in the left lower quadrant would be responsible for your pain. CT scan gives you an information about all abdominal and pelvic organs whereas colonoscopy is specific for colon problems. Some of the colon problems are better detected by colonoscopy that is the reason for doing it even though your CT was normal. Colonoscopy is typically done in a hospital setting for high risk patients, but in those with low risk or otherwise healthy person, it can be done at the physician office. Colonoscopy is a safe procedure, and in most cases, it is not associated with any complication. In that way, it is reasonable to get it done at your doctor's office. If you are concerned about being done in a office settings, you can talk to your doctor about it. Research studies have indicated that office based colonoscopy is a safe alternative to hospital based colonoscopy. I also suggest you to get a follow-up evaluation by a gastro doctor for your problem as you have been struggling with it for a while.
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor