Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have pain behind my knee (back of the leg) that wraps

I have pain behind my knee (back of the leg) that wraps around to the inside of my leg. If I try to bend my leg completely (i.e. folding my leg under me on the sofa, sitting with feet under my derriere) its excruciating.

While walking, it feels like my veins (?) are knotted up behind my knee. I do have a varicose vein running down that leg that is very lumpy but it doesn't hurt to touch it. I'm wondering if its tendons or veins that are bothering me. (No pain behind the knee cap.) what kind of doc is best to see? (I'm 54 yrs. old, female)

Hi there...

Please tell me since how long you have pain?

Do you have swelling ,redness associated with pain?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

For about 2 mos. A little bit/occasional swelling (I think) at lower right area beneath kneecap. Nothing major. When my leg is straight it feels tight and sore.

Dr. Abid :

Ok pain is episodic or persistent?

Persistent.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks for info it has been seen that pain behind knee is a common sign of a Baker’s cyst in this condition usually there is a buildup of synovial fluid behind the knee this presents with pain ,swelling behind knee second possibility behind knee pain can be a symptom of deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg).

So I will suggest you to get Doppler ultrasonography of area behind knee as you have already varicose vein so possibility of deep venous thrombosis should be ruled out.

I hope that this would clarify what can be the reason of pain and what can be done next.

You are saying there is no blood clot issue?

I mean to say as you have deep venous thrombosis,so chances of clot in veins can be possible.

And behind knee pain can be because of clot.

Thank you!

Dr. Abid :

You are most welcome.