Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Joint pain and stools that have the consistency of oatmeal

Customer Question
and also weight gain but...
Joint pain and stools that have the consistency of oatmeal and also weight gain but not significant.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
5/30/2012
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

How long have you had the loose stools?

Anthony Bray MD :

What joints are bothering you?

Anthony Bray MD :

Depending on the length of time this has been a problem you should have further work up...

Anthony Bray MD :

If short term say a week or two then you may have a gastroenteritis..infection of the GI tract. The infection can cause inflammatory chemicals to be more active in your systen and this can in turn may you have symptoms such as joint pain for example.

Anthony Bray MD :

If this has been more a long term problem then you may need to consult a gastroenterologist.

Anthony Bray MD :

Some tests for infections that can be longer lasting (C.diff, giardia, parasitic as examples) may be needed.

Anthony Bray MD :

You can be tested for celiac disease with special blood antibody tests (although a biopsy is the gold standard)

Customer: ankles are bothering me the worst and feet feel heavy when walking. This has been going on for months. This may seem strange but it seems worse when I drink beer the night before. My stools have the constancy of oat meal or baby food the following day. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous that is why I thought it may be celiac
Anthony Bray MD :

Well that would not be my first suspect at all...

Anthony Bray MD :

Alcohol is a common irritant of the GI tract....

Anthony Bray MD :

You might benefit from a trial of Pepto Bismol >> one dose after each loose stool for five days...see if this benefits the trend of the loose stools. Then try using a probiotic for at leasst a week. This may help to reset the flora in the GI tract...

Anthony Bray MD :

If this fails to lead to improvement then I would recommend that you seek further work up.

Customer: Thank you!
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor