Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I am having constipation after a bout of diarrhea. What do I do?

Last week I had diarrhea and now I am constipated. I also developed a cough and sinus pressure. I tried an enema today and all that came out was like a faucet of diarrhea and now my stomach doesn't stop gurgling and I'm passing a lot of gas. I never had this before I'm 51 year old female. I had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago for a Prolapsed uterus. I'm scared. What do I do. My fever is 100.1

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Do you have pain, distension of the abdomen? Is there any other significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't have any pain and no distension of my abdomen. If I Put pressure on my lower abdomen near my pelvis on the left Side there is a dull pain only if I push it in. I still Can't move my bowels.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Fever, sinus pressure can be associated. Sinus infection can be due to bacterial infection. Antibiotic can be required for it. Previous diarrhea can be due to bacterial or viral infection. After an episode of diarrhea, constipation can develop normally. Excess gas and gurgling sound can be due to enema. Along with enema stool have been passed. You may not have now enough stool in the intestine to pass. After an enema, some intestinal contraction can persist for a period. It can cause gurgling sound. Tenderness can be due to colitis. Bacterial infection can be possible. Tylenol can be taken now. If you have Gas-X, you can try. You can observe now. Consult doctor tomorrow. After examination if the doctor feels, urine, blood tests, throat swab, sinus, abdominal X-ray/ scan can be taken to know the cause.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is it normal after an enema to Pour out diarrhea like a faucet turned on?

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Yes, after enema, it can happen. Take adequate fluid, electrolyte solution, so that you will not be dehydrated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there anything I can eat that will help me mover bowels Back to normal? I never had a problem before now.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
When did you have last bowel movement?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not since last week. When I strained, a little would Come out. Nothing normal, in pieces, sometimes brown and sometimes yellow. It was strange looking.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Try to keep well hydrated by taking plenty of fluid, easily digested food like banana, rice, toast, etc. Yogurt or probiotic can be taken. Gas-X, Tylenol can reduce the pain and gas.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a bacterial infection according to blood tests. I'm on Biaxin but I still am constipated and I still have a cough. If I take Arvil, sinus my cough stops but nothing I do helps me to have a bowel movement since last week after I had diarrhea.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Please try to take plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits & water. You can apply a dulcolax suppository. This can help with constipation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will try that. I have no pain though, thank goodness no Weight loss. The blood test showed I had a severe bacterial infection and my blood sugar was at 113 is that the high side of normal.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Was it a fasting blood sugar?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had yogurt in the morning with granola. No I wasn't fasting.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
It is mildly above normal fasting level. But when you were not in complete fast, then the level can be raised. In infection, stress it may go up. You can take a repeat test after you are cured of the infection.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I finally moved my bowels after push for 10 minutes something came out and then when I wiped I saw a reddish color I think it was blood. I have no pain and when I went to wipe again nothing. I'm really scared. I just had blood test and it showed I had a bacterial infection and I'm taking Biaxin. What can it be. I had hemorrhoids years ago when I gave birth but nothing since then.

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
On straining blood can come. If it repeats or increases, you need to take an examination by doctor.