Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have sharp poking pain under my left rib cage. I have

I have sharp poking pain under my left rib cage. I have occasional bouts of nausea, and general illness, weakness that isn't attributed to a cold or flu. The bouts are coming more frequently and lasting longer . This one has lasted for 6 days. I first noticed these symptoms about a year and a half ago. I have had a gall bladder scan about a year and a half ago. But this painis on the left side, not the right up under the rib cage. I cannot cause additional pain when I push on my abdomen. Blood checked, auto immune checked. Liver, thyroid function. All show normal. But, I am not normal. THis situation is going from annoying to days of illness and delbilitation. Do you have any suggestions of what to do next?
Cathy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
There are many different possible causes of left upper abdominal pain. There are a couple of studies to consider, if not yet done. It may help to have an endoscopy of the esophagus and stomach, which would clarify if there is an acid irritation syndrome, such as gastritis or acid reflux, or a tumor in the stomach. Also, a CT scan would be another study to consider, to look at the other organs in the upper abdomen, such as the pancreas and spleen.