Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a mild inflammation on the left side of my tongue,

Customer Question
I have a mild inflammation...
I have a mild inflammation on the left side of my tongue, under it and close to the tip. When I clench the muscle of the tongue, I feel a sharp pain and feels a bit numb & swollen when I blte on it. No antiseptic or mouth sore solution appears to get rid of it.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/22/2012
Doctor: Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD replied 5 years ago
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

If you're a smoker, this makes tongue cancer a possibility.

Coachrobmd :

If not, then this is likely an erosion of the surface from biting it or food.

Coachrobmd :

The tongue heals very slowly and is painful.

Coachrobmd :

Tightening the muscle contracts the surface, so what you're describing is not uncommon.

Coachrobmd :

If what you've tried has not worked, you can try this:

Coachrobmd :

1. Listerone cut in ½ with equal part water. Straight listerine s too strong

Coachrobmd :

2. brushing your tongue GENTLY when cleaing the teeth.

Coachrobmd :

3. A fluoride rinse such as ACT, which provides protectin to all survices of the mouth

Coachrobmd :

4. No hard foods such as pretzels as they traumatize the tongue

Coachrobmd :

5. Lidocaine swish from the pharmacist, mixed with equal parts mylanta. Swish that four times daily

Coachrobmd :

6. See the dentist as aphthous ulcers often are a sign of other disease.

Coachrobmd :

7. Do nOT bite on it.

Coachrobmd :

8. Make sure you tke a multivitamin daily as some deficiencies make this more likely.

Coachrobmd :

9. Don't brush more that twice daily.

Coachrobmd :

10. no teeth whitening strips for the time being.

Coachrobmd :

Look here:

Coachrobmd :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canker-sore/DS00354

Coachrobmd :

These all are part of good oral hygiene, and it takes time to heal.

Coachrobmd :

Fluoride rinses are excellent for this.

Coachrobmd :

Also, you can take a vitamin E liquid capsule, puncture it, and apply it directly to the area involved. This works wonders for mouth sores.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Coachrobmd :

I guess not.

Customer:

This inflammation appeared to start from the back of my eardrum from the throat and into the tongue and stopped near the tip. On the flank of the tongue; there appears what seems to be a small indiscernible pimplel that just won't burst and it affects the nerves in my tongue (left side only) hence the pain.

Coachrobmd :

If this is a pimple of sorts, it could be an inflamed taste bud.

Coachrobmd :

If it started by the eardrum, then this could be an infection with a deep tissue abscess.

Coachrobmd :

In that case, it shluld be seen by your primary care physician as antibiotics may now be required.

Coachrobmd :

Oropharyngeal infections can present in a variety of fashions.

Coachrobmd :

That it involved your throat makes me suspicious of an infection, and if so, you may need clincamycin by mouth to treat this.

Coachrobmd :

Does this make sense?

Coachrobmd :

Yes or No?

Coachrobmd :

That's clinDamycin. sorry.

Coachrobmd :

You need to see the dentist of primary care physician at this point.

Customer:

Yes Do I need a prescription for that?

Coachrobmd :

a biopsy may even be needed.

Coachrobmd :

Yes, it is by prescription only.

Coachrobmd :

Do you s moke/

Coachrobmd :

I’m a great M.D., but NOT a great typist. Please bear with me.

Customer:

Is there any chance that it might just cure itself over time?

Coachrobmd :

I don't know the diagnosis, so I can't speculate.

Coachrobmd :

If it's an aphthous ulcer, yes it will.

Coachrobmd :

But I can't see it so I don't know what it is.

Coachrobmd :

do you smoke?

Customer:

My dentist told me that I have an abscess over a tooth but as yet has not caused me any trouble. He told me to get it fixed sooner than later but the treatment is expensive. could this pus or whatever found it's way to the tongue.

Coachrobmd :

If you have an abscess, it can be drained or treated with antibiotics. This does NOT go away by itself.

Coachrobmd :

Yes, abscess can be found in the tongue.

Coachrobmd :

The mouth is a dirty place.

Coachrobmd :

You need to be seen.

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Customer:

Yes I smoke unfortunately.l

Customer:

Yes only one more.

Coachrobmd :

Well, then that opens the possibility of oral cancer.

Coachrobmd :

So, again, you need to be seen quite soon about this.

Coachrobmd :

I can't make a diagnosis for you and am not going to lie

Coachrobmd :

I've given you all the things you can do, a differential diagnosis and what to do. there's not much more information Ihave for you except to repeat that this needs to be seen and possibly biopsied for cancer in a smoker.

Coachrobmd :

Sorry, but thems the facts.

Customer:

my father did have a cancer at the base of the tongue but it stank horribly. Mine is not like that and it's not spreading. it stays localised at the near underneath tip of the tongue.

Customer:

Thankyou very much

Coachrobmd :

That does NOT rule-out cancer unfortunately.

Coachrobmd :

You need to be seen. I'm sorry to tell you that.

Coachrobmd :

Coachrobmd :

Are you still there?

Customer:

I accept. Have a good night. I will see myphysician.

Coachrobmd :

good.

Coachrobmd :

If you found this information useful, please rate my answer – I hope you found it to be Excellent! This is how I get compensated for assisting you with your medical issue today.

Coachrobmd :

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is very important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

Thanks for coming to JustAnswer.com today. If you ever want me again for other medical issues, please type FOR COACHROBMD ONLY in the subject line. Have a great day.

Coachrobmd :

Are you stuck in the IM Chat room? If so, I can help you get out.

Coachrobmd :

hello?

Customer:

Yes it looks like I'm still stuck in the chat room. How can I save your advice, give you + feedback and leave?

Coachrobmd :

Just click accept and it will prompt you.

Coachrobmd :

To copy this, click at the top of this page with the mouse button, drag the cursor all the way down to the bottom (this will highlight the text), and then go to the edit menu and select copy. Then paste it to a text document.

Coachrobmd :

I'll also send you an email with the link in an email.

Coachrobmd :

It's all pretty straightforward.

Coachrobmd :

Are you still there?

Coachrobmd :

Hello?

Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD