Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Sudden ear pain

Customer Question
Sudden ear ache. Really sharp...

Sudden ear ache. Really sharp pain. No cold symptoms. anything I can do for the pain?

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
5/22/2012
Doctor: Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor

Welcome to JA. Thank you for your question. In order to help you find an answer, could you please answer the following?

Any other medical problems or medications?
How long as this been going on?
Any other symptoms?

No other symptoms, pressure in ear a few hours ago felt clogged went to bed then woke up with sharp pain
No other symptoms. Went swimming on saturday and Sunday in pool

Thanks for the additional information.

You can take ibuprofen for pain (and tylenol), but I would make an appointment to be seen by your physician tomorrow. It is possible the water and moisture after swimming may have provided the optimum environment for the development of an ear infection, specifically otitis externa. This is really common after swimming and needs antibiotics. You can also apply a warm compress to the ear, but this needs to be checked out for infection

Warm regards.

it is possible to have an ear infection without any cold symptoms?
this is an external ear infection (ear canal). The one associated with cold symptoms is a middle ear infection...

thanks ! :-)
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor