How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Su S Your Own Question
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 20949
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Su S is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is significant thickening around the base of my penis.

Resolved Question:

There is significant thickening around the base of my penis. Might this cause ED and would surgery fix it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
How long the symptoms are there? Do you feel ED symptoms? Is there any curve in the penis on erection? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Is there any significant past illness?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Probably 10 years; my urologist commented about the thickening when he was doing my vasectomy. I've enjoyed good general health, am not overweight and there have been no significant illnesses. I don't think there is any curve, but the erection is so weak it is hard to know. There are no other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.
The thickening of the penis can be due to a condition called Peyronie's disease. The cause of the disease is not known. There is development of fibrous tissue in the penis which makes the feeling of thickening. Sometimes it improves itself with out any treatment. You should contact urologist again for evaluation when it is persisting along with erection problem. Different surgical approach is taken. Of them penile implant can help with erection problem.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you. The thickening is not of the penis, it is as though the blood supply causes thickening not of the penis, but the very base where the penis starts on the lower abdomen; a sort of swelling. Viagra used to work, but I haven't used it for years.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
It can affect the base of the penis too. Other ED treatments can be tried. There are penile injections or suppositories of alprostadil, combination injection of either 2 or 3 of alprostadil, papaverine and phentolamine etc.
Dr Su S and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Related Medical Questions