Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

How does it take blood pressure medicine to leave your

how long does it take blood pressure medicine to leave your system. My doctor took me off the drug yesterday because it is causing severe coughing since I started it 4 weeks ago. I am seeing him again next week but in the meanwhile just want to know how long before my system is clear of the drug.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Sohaib :

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

Dr. Sohaib :

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Sohaib :

As per manufacturer's description, the effective half life of this drug, Benazapril, is 10-11 hours after multiple doses have been taken.

Dr. Sohaib :

At most this takes 24-48 hours to get out of your body completely.

Dr. Sohaib :

I was wondering if your doctor has switched you to another blood pressure medication or not.

Dr. Sohaib :

This is because if you are not given any antihypertensive medication, there is a possibility to develo rebound hypertension (in which your blood pressure goes very high), which can be a serious condition.

Dr. Sohaib :

So if not already, you should monitor your blood pressure and must be on any other blood pressure medication to keep it under control.

Dr. Sohaib :

You can go to ER and have your blood pressure checked and can get a prescription as well.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers your question. Kindest Regards ***** ***** luck.

It was a pleasure assisting you. If my answer was helpful, do not forget to ACCEPT it. A POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be highly appreciated. I will be glad to answer any Follow Up Questions.