How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11316
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having problems with letting down my stream of urine.

Resolved Question:

I am having problems with letting down my stream of urine. Plus I don't feel as if I'm empting my bladder. My medications haven't changed in over a year. I have uped my water intake and stopped sodas but it has made it worse instead of better. I can tell when I have to go allright. Should I go see a urologist or my family doctor and why would this be happening? I have had it many times in the past but it was allways medications. My medications now are Abilify 15 mg 1 x day, topamax 100 mg 2 x day, tramadol 50 mg 1x day, theophylenn 200 mg 1x day, ventalin prn, lipator 5mg 1x day, prilosec 40mg 2x day could you all of a sudden have side effects to like abilify? I know one of its side effects is urinary retention. history bipolar, ptsd, restless legs, high chlesterol, asthma, gerd age 49
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 years ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
Yes, it is possible to suddenly have a new side effect, or even an allergic reaction, to a medicine that you have been taking for sometime.
A feeling of not completely emptying your bladder, or actual retention of urine after voiding, can be due to a number of issues, even something as common as a urinary tract infection. At this point I agree with your plan-- time to visit your MD and have this checked out in person.
In the majority of cases the cause of this issue should be able to be easily handled by your family doctor. If she feels that a consultation is necessary she can make the appropriate referrals and, most likely, get you in sooner then you could on your own.
Does this make sense to you?
It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you