How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11367
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother, age 39, has very recentely started having

Resolved Question:

My brother, age 39, has very recentely started having seizures. He began a few months ago having periodical uncontrollable coughing, due to smoking for years. That coughing has brought on fits, lasting a couple of minutes.
Since then, in the last month, he has developed tics. While speaking he wiggles his left hand in the air. He is also restless when watching TV or sleeping. He does not have these tics when his hands are engaged in drawing or computer games, and at those points has normal good dexterity.
His health is average, being somewhat overweight, a smoker, and doesn't get much exercise. He has had tests, including an MRI scan and EEG, both of which turned up clear. He says in himself he is feeling calm.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and able to assist you with your question today.
Other then smoking and being a bit overweight, does your brother have any medical problems or take any medicines?
What have his current doctors had to say about what is going on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No other medical problems or medicines that I'm aware of. Doctors don't seem to have any ideas at the moment. Only other thing I noticed when I saw him a few days ago is that he is more stooped, shoulders hunched over.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm.....It doesn't sound like his issue is going to be an easy one to figure out as his symptoms really don't fit any particular category well.
It sounds like your brother has been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in his condition or even a good diagnosis of what is going on. At this point I think the best thing you can do to help him would be to gather up copies of all his medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that your brother could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and the world and I am sure that there is one near you.
If you could tell me what large city you live near, since I'm not sure where in the UK your brother lives and how far it would be possible for him to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.
It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you