Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What are the term effects of whiplash. Say 40 + years after

What are the long term...
What are the long term effects of whiplash. Say 40
+ years after accident.
5/9/2012
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

aytAre you there?

Coachrobmd :

Whiplash classically affects C4/C5 disk interspace. it is due to forceful posterior motion of the head, causing damage to the disk at that interspace. It is almost always due to trauma.

Coachrobmd :

The short term affects are clear: pain, difficulty moving the arms, and difficulty in neck movement.

Coachrobmd :

The problem is that over time, the disk may continue to degenerate.

Coachrobmd :

That rate varies by person.

Coachrobmd :

But it is no worse than disk disease from any other cause.

Coachrobmd :

If you're having problem, the best test is an mrimagnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the cervical spine to evaluate the status of the disk.

Coachrobmd :

If it is severely compromised, there are surgical options to repair or stabilize the disk.

Coachrobmd :

ialPlease realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult.

Customer:

I had that done

Coachrobmd :

And what did it show/

Customer:

looking for report...

Coachrobmd :

Great. I'll wait for you to find it.

Coachrobmd :

Have you found it?

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

Do tell...

Customer:

scanning

Coachrobmd :

Can you type the findings? Or do you know how to attach a scanned image, because I have no idea how to do that.

Customer:

Sorry

Coachrobmd :

Sorry? About what?

Customer:

C4/5 Small diffuse bulge

Coachrobmd :

So, this is exactly the disk I mentioned above without knowing what your MRI showed. So, am I good or what??

Customer:

Could not transfer scan

Coachrobmd :

But honestly, a disk bulge is likely to impinge upon the spinal nerves that pass through.

Customer:

C6/7 Slight enfacement of the anterior CSF

Coachrobmd :

The means the disk at that level is moving foreward and effacing, or coming close, to the nerve roots.

Customer:

Yes, That bulge worries me

Coachrobmd :

It should be evaluated by a surgeon to see if it can be removed and the vertebrae fused. this is something i can't do over the net.

Coachrobmd :

You need to have a consultation with a neurosurgeon or neurologist who NEEDS to examine you to determine if this bulge is clinically significant.

Coachrobmd :

Just because it shows on a scan does NOT mean it is causing symptoms. Does this make sense?

Customer:

I went to NUCCA doctor and his x-rays showed C1 - C2 out 8 degress

Coachrobmd :

And the bulge concerns me, too.

Customer:

yes it makes sense

Coachrobmd :

I think you mean millimeters, not degrees.

Coachrobmd :

And if so, that is a big shift.

Coachrobmd :

So, can you see a neurologist/surgeon and have them examine you and look at the films? They'll need to SEE the films, not just the report.

Customer:

He corrected it and then x-rayed again and showed only 2 mini

Coachrobmd :

You can request a copy of the film burned to a CD by the radiology suite where it was performed.

Coachrobmd :

I don't know what you mean by correcting it, but 2mm seems much more plausible. 8mm is HUGE for the neck vertebrae,

Coachrobmd :

dwhapDo we have a plan that you believe in and can ACCEPT? Please answer "Yes" or "No".

Customer:

Good Idea

Coachrobmd :

aoqAny other questions I can answer for you today?

Customer:

He showed me x-rays with protractor lines on them. Kind of before and after shots

Coachrobmd :

No matter what it showed, you need an evaluation with a competent neurologic exam. That's a must do type of thing.

Coachrobmd :

Can you do that?

Customer:

yes of course , thanks I needed to here another option on my neck

Coachrobmd :

And this movement of the vertebrae is called spondylolisthesis.

Coachrobmd :

Yes, please have an exam.

Coachrobmd :

Customer:

No and thanks again

Coachrobmd :

If you found this information useful, please click ACCEPT so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. Thanks!

Coachrobmd :

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is very important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

Customer:

You Bet

Coachrobmd :

Thanks.

Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD

I woke up experiencing skin irritaion / pain. It is from the right knee to about half way up the quadraciep . On the outer side of leg. I only feel it if I run my hand across the skin. There is no rash or discolor

Could this be from the above mentioned?

Thanks for coming back to me.
The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.
=======
No, not from whiplash which by very definition affects the cervical spine (C4/C5). The area you are describing on the lateral aspect of the thigh is served by the lumbar spine region, specifically vertebrae L3. So, unless the accident affected the lower spine, this is not related.
But this distribution you have described is very specific for L3 distribution.
This should be seen by your primary care physician (PCP) to determine if he agrees with this, if his exam shows OTHER neurologic areas of concern, and if an MRI is needed.
If you only feel it when touching it, this is called HYPESTHESIA, and very well may be insignificant and pass. It can also be the first signs of shingles, which affects one side of the body, and just one vertebrael level. If it breaks out in blisters or vesicles within one week, then it is shingles and you'll need to see the doctor for medications.
Is this the answer you're looking for? If not, can I help you more?
=============
If you have no more questions, selecting from the RIGHTMOST 2 faces / stars is how I receive compensation for the training that went into assisting you (I am NOT a paid employee on this site). It would be most appreciated. Bonuses are also welcome.
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD