Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What causes metalic and/or sour taste in my mouth? Even when

I brush my teeth the...
What causes metalic and/or sour taste in my mouth? Even when I brush my teeth the taste returns within 20-30 minutes. I also believe it gives me bad breath. I've had my teeth checked and I have no cavities or gigivitis.
5/8/2012
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
I am honored to assist you. My answers are for educational purposes only. They don’t substitute for a visit to a doctor’s office.
Any other symptoms? When did it start? Is it constant? Is it getting worse? Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on? Do you have acid reflux? Postnasal dips? Any other medical problem? Any medications including over-the-counter-pills and herbs?
I'll be happy to give you more info, but I'm not sure why my question went to OBGyn....I originally chose Gastroenterology when typing a question....
Anyway, I have no other symptoms, generally in good health, I take no medications, an occasional vitamin suppliment, like multi vitamin, vit C, and such. I have no acid reflux or any other digestive problems, at least not that I know of, or can feel.
I've had this for years and it sometimes the symptoms seem better, but not completely gone when I avoid sugar and take good bacteria (as in yogurt or pill). Otherwise, I'm almost completely vegan, except for yorugt and sometimes honney, normal weight, moderate exercise, no health problems.
I'll opt out. Other experts will help you.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
I am online and happy to help you with your question today. I noticed that your expert has opted out.
There are a number of things that can cause a "weird" taste in your mouth and/or bad breath. Many of them involve the teeth, gums, tongue, salivary glands or throat. Since you have recently seen a DDS and been given a clean bill of health in this area then we have to think about other conditions.
Up to one in 10 cases of bad breath or taste comes not from the mouth but rather from a systemic condition. Some conditions, such as diabetes, kidney failure, liver disease, chronic stomach reflux (GERD), sinus infections, and even cancer cause be the culprit. Even smoking or chewing tobacco can contribute to these issues.
Since you have been suffering with this condition for so long I suggest you consult with a physician who has an open mind about your complaint and who can help you to rule out any of these systemic issues.
Does this make sense to you?
It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Thank you for your time, I have seen several doctors and dentists in the past and generally got no specific answers, basically I hear the same anwer you gave me. I just thought maybe some new information entered the medical field in this area since I checked last. Oh well.
Sorry....I guess that is why they call it "practicing" medicine -- all of us are just getting more experience every day.
Have you thought of going to a large university teaching hospital for the full-court-press workup?
At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.
I'm not sure if you would get any new information there but what the heck, it might be worth a try....
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
I'm in Los Angeles area. If you know of a teaching hospital in this area please do let me know. A few years back I went to UCLA Detntal teaching clinic but ended up with no anweres from students of professors, even after a few lab tests.

I'm sure very detailed full body tests may be helpful, but no insurance will pay for that, and it is not possible for me to affort that tipe of testing out of pocket. I was hoping to narrow down the cause and do a bit more specific test, something that may be afordable.

I do appreciate your time and that you tried to help.
Sincerely,
Marina
There are a number of excellent teaching hospital in LA. One of them is named after Ronald Reagan:
http://www.uclahealth.org/homepage_med.cfm
Many of these institutions have programs set up to help patients who need their care but can't afford the extensive workup. You might chat with them and see if that would work for you.
It has been my pleasure to help. I wish you the very best.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Thank you, ***** ***** check them out.
My pleasure.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD