Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have bumps under my tongue

Customer Question
Hi. I have small red...

Hi. I have small red bumps under my tongue. These bumps have been there since January, haven't grown or increased in size. They just wont go away.

They do however become painful when I eat spicy food. In addition, I do have some oral thrush and I am a type 2 diabetic since last year. Any idea what is causing my red small bumps? i am hoping its not cancer.

Already Tried:
tried using peroxyl mouth wash to get rid of the bumps and oral thrush.thought may be my oral thrush was the cause of my small red bumps

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
5/3/2012
Doctor: Daegan12, Nurse replied 5 years ago
Daegan12
Daegan12, Nurse

I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

There are a few causes of these bumps under the tongue. Eating acidic foods can cause irritation and leave small red bumps. I would avoid acidic foods such as citrus fruits, sodas, and lemonades. I would also rinse mouth with saline water. You would use this like mouthwash. Sometimes putting ice on the bumps themselves can help with the pain and discomfort. I would suggest going to see a dentist if the bumps persist after trying all of the above. I hope you feel better soon and good luck with everything.

Doctor: Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS) replied 5 years ago
Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

Would you be able to provide a photograph of the involved area? This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...

I will assume you are referring to the two structures I have indicated with arrows on this photograph:

These structures are the orifices of the duct of the submaxillary gland, also known as "Wharton's duct". This is the location where saliva produced by the submaxillary gland is secreted into the mouth. These are normal structures, but may be vulnerable to physical injury from food or heat.

The appearance of your ductal openings appear grossly normal, although it would not be unusual for small mucous retention cysts to occur if the duct openings become obstructed. Because the size of the ducts are stable and have not changed, this is consistent with a normal condition, and requires no treatment.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
thank you very much sir your help is much appreciated
You're welcome. Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)