How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46714
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a hard knot below my knee cap that feels like bone

Customer Question

I have a hard knot below my knee cap that feels like bone that developed recently (within a month) when I fell off my bicycle. It doesn't hurt and doesn't seem to be affected when I go for my long walks. It just looks a bit weird. I am a 58 year old active woman.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

It could be a hematoma or a cyst or a bone bruise. you can get an ultrasound of the knot and see if there is fluid within it. if it is just a cyst or joint fluid, it can be drained to decrease the size of the knot. if it is blood or a bruise, it will need time to resolve on its own.
Dr. David and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response. Is this something I should attend to right away because it could get worse, fairly soon, or don't worry about it. Will it impact my mobility later on or could become painful? If its a bone bruise, how long will it take to go away?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 years ago.
if it is not bothering you too much, you can wait and see if it resolves with time. bruises often will resolve with time. if the knot gets bigger or starts bothering your knee motion or walking or standing, you should see a doctor sooner then.