How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18660
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I havepain in my right lower rib cage. It is tender to

Resolved Question:

I havepain in my right lower rib cage. It is tender to touch. What can I do about it. I have always struggledwith back pain I think thry are connected
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
It is true that there can be pain in the chest that is referred from the back, but there usually would not be localized tenderness in the chest. When there is localized tenderness, it is most often due to inflammation in the rib cage, although it can also be due to muscle spasm of the muscles attached to the rib cage. There also may be inflammation in the back, so there may be an indirect association with the back problem.

The usual initial treatment for inflammation in the chest is an anti-inflammatory medicine, two of which are available over the counter - ibuprofen and naproxen - although it may require a higher dose. For all anti-inflammatory medicines, lower doses may help ease pain, such as headache, but higher doses are better for relief of inflammation. The anti-inflammatory dose of ibuprofen is 1600-2400 mg per day, in divided doses. The anti-inflammatory dose of naproxen is 1000-1500 mg per day, in divided doses. Local care, such as ice and moist heat, may also be helpful. If these interventions are not effective, it would be appropriate to see your physician.
Dr. D. Love and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure how you got the ideathe pain was in my chest. It is not it is in the lower right rib. Right at the bottom. Does this change your answer? Could it be gallbladder?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.
You said that you have pain and tenderness of the right lower rib cage. The definition of the chest involves the entire rib cage. So that pain and tenderness along any rib would be considered pain and tenderness in the chest. The gallbladder can cause pain that is felt under the rib cage, but the area of tenderness is below the rib, not on the rib itself. If the tenderness is on the rib, the answer above would apply. If the tenderness is below the rib cage on the right side, then gallbladder disease would be a possibility.