Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor
Experience:  MBChB. BSc(Hons)Pharm
659881

Have taken Doxip - 100 tablets bought on line in case i had

have taken Doxip - 100 tablets bought on line in case i had syphillis. Is this ok to use?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pauline replied 5 years ago.
DrPauline :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help with your question today.

DrPauline :

Did you see your GP or speak to a doctor on line before purchase?

DrPauline :

Any allergies?

DrPauline :

What were your symptoms?

DrPauline :

Any blood tests?

Customer:

No i haven't seen a doctor about this

DrPauline :

Hello, why were you concerned about syphilis?

Customer:

I haven't any allergies

Customer:

I had a rash on my torso but nowhere else

DrPauline :

Did you have the rash before you started the doxip?

Customer:

I am hiv positive, have recently had my check up and have also had a sypillis test and aiting for results. I had sypillis before but the symptons were much worst. Will my blood tests show up i have been taking this drug?

Customer:

yes i did have a rash before i started taking Doxip, it lasted just over a week

DrPauline :

No the blood tests will not check for this drug, however it can confuse matters when you try to self treat at home. It also increases risk of resistance. In addition not all drugs purchased online will be up to the standards for british pharmacopia, and may not even contain the active ingredient.

DrPauline :

So best to leave prescription drugs to an authorised supplier on a legal prescription. For syphillis then we usually use penicillin injection initially after bloodwork confirms infection.

Customer:

ok thank you, ***** ***** original syphillis have flaired up again or could it be a new infection?

DrPauline :

Its possible your syphilis to flare again, as resistance can occur to treatments. I would also hope that you are engaging in protected intercourse using condoms.

Customer:

yes condoms are used and i am always the passive partner

DrPauline :

Then if you intercourse is protected then less likley to get new infection. It is important to follow treatment through to prevent the syphilis becoming latent and then increased risk of long term complications.

DrPauline :

So I'm afraid that there will be some uncertainty while waiting for the blood test results.