Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

I have a small hard bump in my anus. Should I be worried?

I have a small hard lump just inside the sphincter of my anus. It in the superficial tissue. It feels harder than what a hemorrhoid would feel and very small (smaller than a pea). It doesn't seem to extend into the deeper tissue- just superficial.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 5 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hemorrhoids do not have to be soft, they can be hard or medium. It depends upon what process is going on.

A lump there can be a blocked duct causing a cyst or pimple. These are benign.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Yes

So I shouldn't worry about the big "C"...

Coachrobmd :

No, that is unlikely. Worse comes to worse, it can be easily biopsied. But no, that is unlikely to present as a small nodule

It is just beyond the anal sphincter and and it seems to be isolated to the superficial tissue. It is hard though, not spongy like a external hemorroid, almost granular (it seems)

Coachrobmd :

You should see your Primary Care Physician (PCP) to actually have him look at it. It may need to be lanced if it is a fluid filled pocket, as pus pockets are often found in the anus.

Not sure what internal hemorrhoids feel but always assumed that they were spongy like the external one's.

Coachrobmd :

Granular may be a hardened sebaceous cyst, which can feel just as you describe.

You can't feel internal hemorrhoides as they are much deeper. This is too close to the outsiode for that.

This is good news...Just leaving for vacation and was hoping I wouldn't have to worry the whole time. For my edification, can you palpate "cancer" in the rectum or is it a no?

Would cancer be something that you feel upon digital exam?

How do I, know if it's time to panic?

Coachrobmd :

Yes, you can palpate cancer if it's large enough, and can occasionally be felt on digital exam.

You panic when a biopsy shows it's something to worry about. That's when you worry. For now, think CYST not CANCER, okay?

LOL.. You know us nurses.. It's always the worst... A bump just can't be a bump..

Coachrobmd :

Well, sometimes a bump is a bump.

Just to be sure that I've explained it correctly, the lump is just beyond the sphincter... It's not a bit more internal...Still could be the same thing?

Is rectal cancer painful? This isn't painful.

Coachrobmd :

Yes, it can be. Again, have the Primary Care Physician (PCP) look at it, it is easy to identify.

Thank you for your time.

Coachrobmd :

Thanks!