Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a displacement of cervical intervertebral disc without myelopathy. What does this mean?

Customer Question
I have a displacement of...
I have a displacement of cervical intervertebral disc without myelopathy what does that mean and do u get a stinging sensation and a stiff neck
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
4/7/2012
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 5 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
It means you have degnerative disc disease of the spine.
The stinging sensation is from nerve roots being irritated by the discs.

medications do not fix this...but the correct physical therapy, traction and other manual techniques might fix it and avoid surgery.

You have to see the right doctor.
That is a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, an MD specialist.

These doctors are trained to get your spine back into shape and stop the disc degeneration and to help you avoid surgery.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
I have done physical therapy 3 so pain meds wont help I als have fibroyaliga
I am not talking about a physical therapist
But an MD ,
That is the physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, also called a physiatrist.

A physiatrist is an MD or DO doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation, who will tailor a physical therapy to you and your tests, and can do the tests, and who will also use novel electronic and traction therapies, and can handle pain control or work with your pain control doctor and your other doctors.
The reason physical therapy often does not help is because it is not individualized.
This doctor will do that as well.
These doctors...physiatrists are oriented to improving the situation to the point that you don't need surgery or medications.

This doctor will tell you if you can avoid surgery..if not, he/she will help you recover from surgery.

What I is novel electronic and traction therapy
One example is inter vertebral disc decompression
20 treatment cervical, 20 lumbar to begin.
A form of traction that allows the discs to float back into place and we think re hydrates the disc as well..giving the spine better building blocks again.
I know I being a pain but I appeciate u helping me so there are no meds that will ease the pain until someone can treat me my fibromyaliga is pretty bad as well
there are meds
Savella
Gabapentin
Lyrica
Cymbalta
All are choices here
Im ln lyrica now I mean pain meds I so appreciate your help ty
All of these are pain meds
Your doctor can add something like vicodin for break through pain,,,,but I would try one of the above before I did this.
Im ln lyrica now my ok pain is pretty bad im sorry if im being a pain I have been in pain for over 2years
As I said your doctor could prescribe something such as vicodin for breakthrough pain
Ty
You are welcome
Is there anything I can do at home I do wear a neckbrace which seems to take the pressure off
No you really need the medical help.
You can add ibuprofen to lyrica in the mean time
This will add an anti-inflammatory effect which might help
Wll a chriopractor help
Hello
Not until a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor approves of that

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Ok ty
If I crack my neck will make it worse
hello
I have not seen any recent accepts on my answers...we are only paid for accepts.
You should do gentle stretching only, and not crack your own neck.
I cant afford to pay u
OK
good luck
Ty and tys for helping me

ok

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician