Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Having a tough time since having a bad reaction to 2 doses

Customer Question
of Zyvox a week ago...
Having a tough time since having a bad reaction to 2 doses of Zyvox a week ago. It seems like my symptoms are in line with peripheral nueropathy. I'm scared I have done irreversible damage. Can a Dr. help me think this through?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
4/3/2012
Doctor: Dr. Gupta, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

Sure,

MD Doc :

If you are really worried about Peripheral neuropathy, I would recommend that you look at the possible symptoms and get a clinical examination

MD Doc :

This is very unlikely as a bad reaction to 2 doses of Zyvox,

MD Doc :

but a clinical examination and if required a neuro evaluation for weakness / paresthesia and finally a nerve conduction test would help confirm that this is indeed not the cause of your possible symptoms

MD Doc :

Just as a matter of scientific evidence, almost all cases of Linezolid associated Peripheral neuropathy have occurred in patients who have taken it longer than 28 days

MD Doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

JACUSTOMER-au2llxvz- : I would like to discuss further with you but it appears you are off line
MD Doc :

I am online

MD Doc :

please let me know as to what you are interested in asking

MD Doc :

in case we are able to chat, great,

MD Doc :

if we are not, let me know your questions so that we can continue our interaction

JACUSTOMER-au2llxvz- : Thank you for your quick response. It has been one hell of a week for me. 7 days ago I woke up after my second dose of 600 mg Zyvox extremely irritable and light sensitive to the eyes. I immediately stopped taking the Zyvox. The next morning however I woke up and all my leg muscles were severely cramped, painful and I felt like I was losing my balance forward. Now that has progressed to burning in my feet and lower legs and general loss of sensation throughout my body. I still feel but it just feels kind of dull. When I stand up I feel a little off balance and slight motion sicness. My muscles twitch and ache throughout my body. Overall I just feel off. Also my lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen. It seems like my symptoms are peripheral nueropathy and I'm really scared. I'm only 41. Is there a possible alternate diagnosis? If the Zyvox did effect my nerves is it permant or irreversible or did I just aggravate the nerves inflame them etc.. Can you help me think this through?
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Spontaneous causation of serotonin Syndrome are reported with the use of the drug Linezolid/Zyvox along with serotonergic drugs which include antidepressants and mepiridine.Symptoms would include tremors,agitation and restlessness,diarrhea,palpitations,muscle spasms,dilated pupils,sweating,ataxia and mental confusion.If you have inardevently taken the Zyvox with a SSRI antidepressant,such a situation may arise.The side effects of Zyvox alone are unlikely cause such a problem though optic and peripheral neuropathy both have been reported with the drug after prolonged use.You need to contact your doctor/PCP who can examine you and determine the future course of events.it would be prudent to discontinue the drug till such time.You may need specific treatment urgently if Serotonin Syndrome is suspected.
I would have to say that from your description it would appear that peripheral neuropathy is a possibility.
However, this is extremely uncommon with 2 doses of Linezolid only. This suggests that this may be a temporary problem that may be reversible with the passage of time,
However you MUST get an urgent medical consultation for the same to confirm the diagnosis with specific tests, and then take appropriate treatment as needed,
Warm regards
Dr I am still having a very hard time. I still have symptoms from a week ago. When I read the pereferal nueropathy symptoms it is exactly what I have. How do I know if I have permanent nerve damage or just injured or inflamed the nerves but they will recover in time. I can't believe 2 pills would do this to me. Basically 1200 mg of Zyvox total over a 24 hour period can debilitate me for life. My symptoms wax and wane throughout the day. They get worse then ease up. How long will these symptoms last? Thank you in advance for you kind and competent response.
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor