Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How much does heat and humidity affect breathing if I was on

a ventilator four years ago?...
how much does heat and humidity affect breathing if I was on a ventilator four years ago?
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2012
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hello

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question

Mysticdoc :

Heat and humidity increase the metabolic rate in the body.

Mysticdoc :

This results in more oxygen consumption by the body.

Mysticdoc :

This can increase the work of lungs and respiratory muscles for harder breathing.

Mysticdoc :

Hence this can affect your breathing.

Mysticdoc :

Cough can be due to the irritation of the airways or from the allergic reaction.

Mysticdoc :

Viral or bacterial infection also can cause cough --bronchitis.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button and leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please ask for Mysticdoc for your future questions. Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Not specific to the question asked.

Customer:

Are you going to answer?

Mysticdoc :

Please specify what exactly you want to know about the effect of heat and humidity?

Customer:

As it relates to a person after having been on a ventilator four years ago. these breathing problems have occurred every year since. oxygen level has remained around 98 to 99 % since.

Mysticdoc :

The explanation is above.

Mysticdoc :

Heat and humidity may cause breathing trouble.

Customer:

That is not an answer!

Mysticdoc :

To maintain oxygen at 99% the respiratory muscles anf lungs will work harder in heat and humidity.

Mysticdoc :

That is the answer.

Mysticdoc :

To quantify the problem, you need a lung function test.

Mysticdoc :

Lung function test will provide you the information how much damage your lungs have.

Customer:

We have been to specialist and was told that there was not damage to my lungs.

Mysticdoc :

how wewas it determined?

Mysticdoc :

did you have any test done?

Customer:

yes! So was it damage to my throat?

Mysticdoc :

What test did you have?

Customer:

I have had all the standard test and found to have lung functioning over 90 %.

Mysticdoc :

then this is unlikely you have lung damage.

Mysticdoc :

Then your nasal passage and throat need to be checked by the endoscopy.

Mysticdoc :

You should see a ENT specialist then.

Customer:

We kn ow that we are asking about throat damage.

Mysticdoc :

Yes for throat damage investigation you will need a endoscopy.

Mysticdoc :

But heat will not cause throat damage.

Customer:

What about possible damage caused by ventilator?

Mysticdoc :

Ventilator can cause damage to the soft tissue in the throat.

Mysticdoc :

This should be visible in endoscopy or CT scan of the neck with contrast.

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist