Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Symptoms: hoarse voice, weakness, fatigue, groin itching,

Customer Question
muscle and joint pain, tired.....what...
symptoms: hoarse voice, weakness, fatigue, groin itching, muscle and joint pain, tired.....what dx should be considered????
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2012
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

how old are you?

man or female?

how long have these symptoms been going on?

any other medical problems? weight loss? smoker?

48 years old

female

1 1/2 years....leads to several days to a week of not being able to stay awake or get out of bed

no other problems, weight gain, non smoker

your symptoms could be due to an infection like mononucleosis but that would not tend to last for a 1.5 years.

you could have severe anemia or low red blood cell count. this can be checked with a blood test. have you seen a doctor for blood work and physical examination?

the groin itch could be a fungal infection. you can try over the counter lamisil antifungal cream to see if it helps.

your symptoms could be caused by an auto-immune disease. again blood testing is needed to make this diagnosis.

do you have a doctor you can go to to get blood testing?

The groin itch is not fungal ...the dr ruled that out. I have had many blood tests, from RA, hashimoto's, etc....

with hoarse voice, you need an ENT doctor to see if you have paralyzed vocal cords.

and if one side is paralyzed, then you need CT scans of the neck and chest to see what might be pressing on the recurrent laryngeal nerves to cause this paralysis.

have you had CT scans of your chest?

this try this again.... I had what they called an acute thyroiditis episode over a year ago...I could not stay awake and would sleep for days. through trial and error they gave me 5 mc of cytomel and 200 mc of synthroid which started to help. I had several of these episodes over the past year. I had to hire help to do my chores and I had to stop working out at the gym and my dance classes; as everytime I would even do 10 or 15 mins of exercise my symptoms of the hoarse voice, confusion, it would feel like my brain had a stroke as it wouldnt work well, aphasia, muscle and joint pain, shortness of breath, extreme fatigue would return and I couldnt get out of bed for days. IIt felt like I was dying and I put all of my affairs in order. I used to be able to carry 50 lb bags of dog food and now I am lucky if I can carry a gallon of milk. The sx's have been somewhat under control if I just dont do much except for go to work and then sleep when I get home and on the weekends. It has drastically changed my life. Recently, I tried to start just walking for 10 mins two times in the past five days; and now I am symptomatic again with the hoarse voice (no sore throat) extreme fatigue, muscle and joint pain etc.

well it sounds like yoru hoarse voice is the least of your problems.

in some patients auto-immune diseases can be responsible for thyroiditis as well as muscle weakness and substantial fatigue. Lupus would be one example of a muscle weakness condition caused by antibodies made by your own body against itself. has this been tested for?

Good question doctor. I am having blood ran as we speak for all of the heps (again), they have said I do carry a dx of Hashimotos now...but it wouldnt explain these sxs. It seems like whenever my body gets reaved up a little ; that is when I start having problems. If I dont exert myself at all it seems like I can make it through for the most part these days. I did get the flu about a month ago and it took me 10 days before I could get out of bed again...that isnt normal. I used to be an active female for all of my life. I stayed active working at least one full time and usually something on the side; I loved to dance and play .......these days if I do anything that requires adrenaline or sugar or I dont know what all goes into a body when you start to exert oneself that is when my body attacks me...

that could be your immune system making antibodies against you when you are active.

have them test for ANA and other lupus markers in the blood. I hope we can get a name of the disease process which is going on. and then you can hopefully get some treatment for this issue.

let me know if you have other questions

if done, please click accept

you can always reach me with " a question for Dr. David"

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician