Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can I test my own pH level with litmus paper and a urine

Customer Question
sample? Or must I...
Can I test my own pH level with litmus paper and a urine sample? Or must I get a pH blood test? Is the ideal pH level in the 7.35 to 7.45 range? Where do I get litmus paper that can show the declimal level of my pH?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
3/27/2012
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 5 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
You can test your own urine pH - just realize your urine will be a bit different than your blood pH.
You can buy urine tests from most drug stores - but if you are looking for a pH of your blood, then you need to have this done by a blood draw - and actually to an accurate pH you need an arterial blood draw - a venous blood will be a bit more acidic.
I hope this helps, thank you for your questions.
I understand that the correct pH level for humans is slightly alkaline in the 7.35 to 7.45 range. Would a urine pH test give results that could be compared to this range? Or is the correct urine pH test range at a different level. I am trying to test my pH quickly without having to wait weeks to see my doctor so a urine pH test is something I could do TODAY which is why I am interested in knowing the correct range. I have a bad case of tinea cruris and am afraid I might have Acidosis from too much consumption of carbohydrates and acid-forming foods. My triglicerides were too high the last time I had my blood tested weeks ago and I am trying to make adjustments in my diet.

No, a urine does NOT give that range of pH – the pH range you refer to is the pH of Arterial blood.

So, pH of the Urine does NOT correlate well with your body function as you are seeking. A low pH of the urine could possibly indicate a fungal infection – but this is not really how we test it.

But, you might want to help yourself by using a Probiotic such as RepHresh PRO B you take by mouth to help increase the lactobaccillis acidophilus in your body.

I Hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT and if you have follow up questions, please ask

Thank you

kk
Thank you for your questions, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
What does urine pH tell a person? You wrote that a low urine pH could possibly indicate a fungal infection, so I want to test my urine pH to see if it is "low". But at what level is urine pH low? What is the normal range for urine pH? And if a person is out of that normal range, what does that indicate about their health?
I believe I have Tinea Cruris or possibly Candida based on the itching, redness, and skin discoloration in the groin, inner thingh, and perianal area. My Dermatologist has not taken a skin graft in this area but has prescribed oral Prednisone twice which helped but did not completely eradicate the itching and redness which got worse after the Prednisone prescription ran out. I believe I may have lowered my immunities due to too much consumption of carbohydrates and acid-producing foods and not enough alkaline foods. I also have insomnia such that lack of sleep may have lowered my immunities as well. I have not been tested for any auto-immune diseases or the strength of my immunities but I keep asking my General Practitioner and Dermatologist for such tests. As for Pro-Biotics, I've been taking those for close to a year as well as eating yogurt with active yeast cultures, but these have not done anything noticable to remedy the itching and redness in the groin area.
I also have been prescribed a full host of topical creams (Ketoconazole, Terbefine, Clomitrazole, Hydrocortizone) which along with topical spray and powder Miconazole only help the itching temporarily but have not cured what is wrong. I am turning to diet as something I can do myself to help improve my condition, but I'm wanting to know if my pH level could be off and causing these problems.
Well honestly a body pH is unlikely going to give you any further information - and if you have itching - I would recommend a biopsy where this area itches to so you can get a diagnoses - a pH is not a way to get a diagnosis.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
A low pH level can weaken the immune system, and if the immune system is weakened, it may not be able to fight off fungal or yeast infections. The incredible itching I have had for months is not being cured by antifungal creams which are also known to not be effective by many Tinea Cruris and Candida sufferers. I also have spongiotic dermatitis in other parts of my body that is triggered by an allergic reaction to Kathon CG, a common preservative used in many different products. I did have a skin graft analyzed from a dermatitis breakout area on my wrist as well as a skin patch test on my back that identified I was allergic to Kathon CG. But the discolored skin, itching and outbreak in the groin area is different as my Dermatologist knows. And yes, I plan to ask for a biopsy of the skin in the groin area when I see her next week. But in the mean time, I'd like to get a good night's rest which is why I am trying to consult with doctors over this service to see if the real answer to my itching problem is my DIET which my Dermatologist has yet to suggest.
Before I let you go, could you please at least answer my questions asked previously, i.e. what is a urine pH test with litmus paper used to diagnose and what is the normal range for urine pH if it is not the blood test range of 7.35 to 7.45?
The pH is really not very useful for the most part in the urine - it is really extraneous data that is essentially not looked at except when we see very gross numbers that are outside the range of normal - so again - urine pH DOES NOT follow the blood pH _ becaue it really depends on what the person has been eating, if exercising, etc and he pH can change Drastically due to that - NOT necessarily due to a chronic medical problem - so you can NOT use those numbers of around 7.4 of pH - IT IS NOT used for what you are wishing to use it for.
Please click on ACCEPT as I have really been helping you for 2 days now, and ACCEPTing would be fair.
Thank you
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician