Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Have had a cough and coughing up mucus for over a week?

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2012
Doctor: Dr. Pauline, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor
DrPauline :

Hello, what color of mucus are you coughing up?

DrPauline :

Any fever?

DrPauline :

How is the rest of your health?

DrPauline :

Any other medical problems?

Customer:

Hello,Yelow in color

Customer:

Had a fever last week but not since then and no other medical problems.

DrPauline :

Any nasal drip?

Customer:

some but not excessive.

Customer:

times of heavy coughing more than any other time.

DrPauline :

Any any chest pain or shortness of breathing?

Customer:

Do not have any chest pain.

Customer:

Breathing is def not normal. Some weezing at times.

DrPauline :

From the sounds of your symptoms so far then it sounds like you have had a respiratory tract infection, these can be viral as well as bacterial so for some cases then symptomatic treatment is needed, and in some cases more active management such as antibiotics or bronchodilators.

DrPauline :

As you mention some wheezing then you will need to see a doctor or urgent care clinic to listen to your chest for sounds when you breathe.

DrPauline :

You may need short term inhaler to relieve a wheeze however in the meantime if you have thick mucus then steam inhalation and plenty of water should help a little.

Customer:

So go have teh Dr. listen to my lungs.

DrPauline :

If you have problems with your breathing or a wheeze. Otherwise a viral respiratory infection is usually treated with cough mixtures and fluid for up to three weeks.

Customer:

I have been consuming 96-128oz of water per day.

Customer:

Oh wow 3 weeks!

DrPauline :

I am not a fan of mucinex dm as it contains a cough supressant, and thickens mucus rather than the original which loosen mucus.

DrPauline :

A cough can persist for some time, but a yellow phlegm and wheeze needs to be checked out to rule out other treatments

Customer:

I Okay. I have an apointment @2pm. :)

DrPauline :

Thata good, do mention the wheeze

DrPauline :

sorry "thats good"

Customer:

thank you for your help! Rick

DrPauline :

I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor