khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I have a hard lump under my belly button. There is no pain.

I have a hard lump under my belly button. There is no pain. I first noticed it about two weeks ago, but when I pushed on it it would move or go away, and I wasn't sure if it was really there. What could it be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
It seems to be abdominal hernia. An abdominal hernia is an opening or weakness in the muscular structure of the wall of the abdomen. The peritoneum (lining of the abdominal cavity) protrudes through the opening and this defect causes a bulging of the abdominal wall. You should see your doctor as soon as possible to have a physical exam and imaging studies such as ultrasound and CT scan. If it is hernia, you need to have a surgery.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WHY WOULD IT JUST SHOW UP OUT OF NO WHERE? I JUST HAD A BABY A LITTLE OVER THREE MONTHS AGO (VAGINAL DELIVERY) AND HAD A LOT OF TROUBLE, WOULD THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
The hernia seems to come from the weak point of the abdominal muscles due to the pregnancy.