How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11409
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Twice in my life i have suffered from what they called

Customer Question

twice in my life i have suffered from what they called "shrunk stomach", which means inability to eat normally, food lies like lead on my stomach. each time i have brought this up to discuss on the web they mention "cancer". This has nothing to do with cancer, as i said i have been hospitalised twice and cured. And today i am told this condition does not exist, or, because i have "heart failure " as well, this condition cannot be cured. i am now 94, is there anything that can be done to help this problem?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.


I wonder if what you are speaking of is Gastroparesis. Your description "food lies like lead on my stomach" sounds just like this problem. This problem is not related to cancer (it does occur in those with diabetes at a higher rate than the general population, but you do not have to have diabetes to have this condition) There are medications that help this problem.

You can read about it here:

I know of a research study, too that is trying a new medication for this issue, but unfortunately the age limit is 80. But, it is good to know that there are new medications in the "pipe line."

You can mention this to your doctor. Typically a gastroenterologist is the one that knows the most about this condition. You may want to see a gastroenterologist, or ask your doctor for a referral to one.

Please reply to this post if you have any more questions about this.

I am standing case you do.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have been referred to gastroenterologists, and have had endoscopies, everything was normal, so that did not help
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I'm so sorry. I will opt out to see if someone else can help you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 years ago.
If you have been treated by gastroenterolgists, thoroughly evaluated in the hospital and, even with all this, no one has come up with a plan to help with your problem, perhaps it is time to "change horses" as they say....
At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associated or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11409
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Dr. Rick, MD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you do not understand my position. i have very bad "ischemic heart disease", and cannot travel elsewhere. a few years ago, i tried returning to the private hospital where once i was cured, but today i do not have the money necessary for that, all my money has gone in paying for the care hospital i am in now, and also i am too weak to travel elsewhere. My doctor here says because i have ischemic disease any cure for this eating trouble is impossible. Whether he is right or not, is now hypothetical as i do not have the money . so the situation is hopeless, i am now just waiting to die.but let me pay you for your trouble, just tell me how much.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Susan Ivy told me that you are in Ireland; a very beautiful country that I have had the good fortune to visit on a number of occasions.
If you so desire you can, as you know, push the accept button for our encounter however that is entirely up to you.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have come to the coclusion that nothing can help me, and am sorry to have wasted your time. i wish to pay you for this time, how much do i owe you?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 years ago.
You have not wasted my time. I wish you the very best. As you know from being on the JustAnswer site in the past all you have to do to accept the question, and thereby have the money deducted from your account is press the accept/positive feedback button (this varies from screen to screen)
When you posted your question you set the value at US$20.80; it is completely up to you if you want to accept or not. In either event I would be very happy to do all I can to continue to assist you.
Take care and have a good day. And if you every get up to Giants Causeway, say Hi to it for me :-)