DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am having pain under my left rib cage, sometimes it

I am having pain under my left rib cage, sometimes it spreads a little. Its more of a feeling of "fullness" or as if something is pushing under the bottom rib. It isn't a sharp pain for the most part. I've had it for about a month but in the last few days it has become more pronounced and constant. I don't have a fever or any other symptoms. I am 47 years old and generally in good health except for multiple sclerosis, which I don't believe has anything to do with this issue.
I do have a GP appointment next Tuesday but was hoping to get some ideas about what this could be or what symptoms I should watch for. Right now it feels like fullness or pressure under the ribs.
Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
In this area
Pancreas...if inflamed,,can be from gallstones, diabetes, high triglycerides, medications.
Spleen..if enlarged
Bowel...diverticulosis most likely of the colon.
Trapped gas in bowel..splenic flexure syndrome will respond to diet and gas x

Muscular.

Good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the information. What it really feels like is almost something pushing under those bottom ribs. Uncomfortable especially when sitting up. It doesn't hurt or isn't especially painful just feels "odd". When I push on it there is slight tenderness but no real pain. I don't have any other symptoms that I can think of - no fever. As far as meds go there are a few - lexapro, enalapril, omeprazol and pravastatin. I've been on all of them for some time and the only change is a recent increase in the pravastatin from 10mg to 20mg. I have taken antacids for the last few days but my stomach isn't the least bit upset and my bowel habits are completely normal.

Please let me know if any of that information helps with possible ideas.

Thank you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Liver enzyme tests can be easily done...as well as pancreatic enzymes..which will show if this is gallstones, pancreatitis, etc.

Exam, maybe ultrasound will diagnosis this.

Otherwise it is likely to be bowel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Got back blood tests and all was fine, also fine was an abdominal ultrasound and a chest x-ray. I am in the process of making an appointment with a GI. I'm going to be traveling to the Middle East in 6 weeks and am concerned as this is aggravating but also worried about needing medical treatment while traveling. If all those tests came back clear is it likely that it is a GI issue?

Thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
GI or even muscular.
in this area there can be IBS...irritable bowel
Diverticulosis.....pockets in the colon that can become inflamed.

If on the rib more likely muscular
If below the rib more likely GI.