Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have excessive belching and flatulance, with loose clay

I have excessive belching and flatulance, with loose clay colored stools. No temperature, my skin and eyes are not yellow. I also have a vague discomfort in my abdomen area. I am a 70 year old male. Only prescription is 50 mg testosterone cream. My email is***@******.***
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
How long is flatulence and bloating, how long is loose stool occurring? Any weight loss?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I HAVE EXPERIENCED EXCESSIVE FLATULANCE FOR MANY YEARS, BUT THE EXCESSIVE BELCHING WITHIN THE LAST 6 MONTHS. THE LOOSE STOOL ABOUT 1 MONTH AND THE LIGHT COLORED STOOL ABOUT 1 WEEK. I KEEP MY WEIGHT UP BY EATING WELL. IF I SKIPPED MEALS ,I WOULD DEFINTELY SEE A WEIGHT LOSS.

Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
The excess gas can be lessened by some recommendations I can give you. Light colored stool may be caused by the loose stools. The loose stools may be due to diverticulosis or spasm or an infection. Light stools may also be caused by fat malabsorption but the stools would be greasy and float. First thing, get stool tested for infection. If negative increase fiber and bulk and decrease lactose products in the meantime for the gas, when a person has excess gas causing bloating, belching and excessive flatus the majority of the gas comes from swallowed air. Some amount of gas is produced by bacteria acting upon the food that you eat. With that in mind it is important to try to limit the amount of air that you take into your system. It is important to eat slowly and not gulp down your food. It also is helpful to not drink with meals and wait for 10 or 15 minutes until after you finish eating. Drinking tends to introduce air into the stomach especially with a straw. Also it is important to avoid carbonated beverages and also certain foods that tend to form gas such as beans, broccoli, and cabbage. As a person ages they become less able to absorb the sugar in milk (lactose) and is actually the primary producer of gas. Try to avoid too much dairy. Over the counter anti-gas preparations are helpful in breaking up large pockets or bubbles of gas and forming smaller ones making the gas easier to expel. Try to obtain products that have simethicone in them and take as directed. Also no cal sugars and sugars in dietetic candies are not absorbed and become fermented and form gas. Something that is not proven but may be helpful is to take probiotic drinks such as Activia. I hope this advice helps you.
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.