Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have pain just above the heel on my left foot. The area

I have pain just above the heel on my left foot. The area around the achilles feels tender and I can feel a hard lump and either side of the tendon is puffy and tender compared to my right foot. The lump can clearly be seen as well as felt. I have pain immediately on waking and putting my foot on the ground. Walking is uncomfortable. Pain radiates into my heel and my calf muscles in my left leg feel tight. I am not an athlete. I do not play any sport. I am 53 years old. - Female. I walk a lot and have to go up and down stairs in my house all the time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Sohaib :

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. You need to answer a few questions which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Dr. Sohaib :

Does this occur at rest or with movement as well?

Customer:

It varies really, I would say 9 on waking and then it levels off to about 6 or 7. If I start walking again it becomes more painful. Sitting my left leg feels uncomfortable, the muscles in my calf feel tight.

Customer:

As I say movement causes pain, when resting my leg feels uncomfortable.

Dr. Sohaib :

Have you noticed any swelling in your knees? Any other joint of the body that have swollen and became painful?

Dr. Sohaib :

Back ache?

Dr. Sohaib :

Stiffness?

Customer:

No, other swelling. My left knee has been operated on three times for meniscus problems, last operation was two years ago, my lower spine L4,L5 S1 were pinned and plated some ten years ago. I always have a stiff back.

Dr. Sohaib :

Thanks for the Input.

Dr. Sohaib :

At this point i will suggest you to see a Rheumatologist for evaluation in terms of a clinical examination, aided by tests like an Ultrasound and various clinical maneuvres that can confidently ascertain achilles tendonitis and plantar fascitis.

Dr. Sohaib :

You may also require an X-Ray of the ankle/foot as well to be sure that there is no joint involvement/effusion.

Dr. Sohaib :

Have Rest.

Dr. Sohaib :

Motrin or Aleve for pain and inflammation control.

Dr. Sohaib :

Ice packs application will also help.

Dr. Sohaib :

Soft foot wear that has shock absorbing capacity.

Dr. Sohaib :

I suspect Achilles involvement; but can not say for sure unless and untill it is evaluated physically.

Customer:

Resting is a bit difficult with two children to chase after, also in my house I need to go up and down stairs whenever I leave a room.

Dr. Sohaib :

Try to avoid the physical stress on the affected area as much as you can.

Dr. Sohaib :

This will fasten the recovery and healing process.

Dr. Sohaib :

And anti-inflammatory medications will definitely work to reduce pain and swelling. Motrin/Aleve.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Kindest Regards ***** ***** luck.

It was a pleasure assisting you. If my answer was helpful, Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
Please do not forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK which will be highly appreciated.

Customer:

Ok. Thankyou.