Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had pain between the second and third knuckles on my

Customer Question
left hand for a few...
I have had pain between the second and third knuckles on my left hand for a few weeks now. I can't remember injuring it, and it doesn't hurt just sitting around doing nothing. The joints are not stiff and I haven't noticed any swelling at all. The pain is most acute when trying to manipulate objects or hold weight. For example, today I couldn't open a child-proof bottle of pills because I couldn't grip the bottle or the cap because the pain was too strong, yet regular typing doesn't really hurt, except, perhaps, when using the keyboard to toggle between programs (which requires me to hit alt and then tab), or to adjust the volume on my computer (which involves hitting the function key and the numbers 3 or 4). In fact, it was when I was doing these things that I first noticed the pain (these keys are all in the same general area, and require the same kind of finger contortions). I have since tried to minimize how often I use these features, but the pain has not gone away, and seems to have almost gotten worse. Please help.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medical
2/20/2012
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
Associated neck stiffness?
Numbness and tingling sensation in arm,hand,fingers?
Associated wrist pain?
History of prolonged computer use?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any medications?
no neck stiffness;
-no numbness or tingling;
-no wrist pain;
-i do use my computer frequently (I'm a doctoral student), but none of my other associated extremities hurt in any way (no other knuckles, joints, fingers, wrist, nothing);
- i really don't pretend to know what other kind of medical history would be useful or important for this. I recently had bloodwork done because of heart palpitations, fatigue, and dizziness but everything came back normal (except for a slightly low resting heart-rate); last summer I had some "calcification" of one of my big toes out of nowhere. I woke up one morning and my toe was swollen and I could barely walk. After a few days of elevation, heat, and naproxen (500mg), it went away. It came back a couple of times over the next month or so, but eventually went away completely. I still don't know, to this day, what caused it; when I was an adolescent, I had a painful bump on my left wrist. It was there (intermittently) for literally years. It made writing very painful (I'm a lefty). I had X-rays and MRIs on it and the orthopedists at first thought it was a cyst, but it was difficult to treat because it would come and go. Finally, its appearance happened to coincide with a visit to the office, and he tried to aspirate it, but nothing came out (it was also the most painful experience of my life). He then injected it with cortisone (also very painful), and that was the last I can remember it ever bothering me. I was young and distracted at the time, but I remember him explaining to my mom that there was "a collection of fluid around the tendons" that had all gathered in that one spot, right on top of my wrist, or something like that. I'm still not sure myself what it was, but since it never reappeared, I never bothered to look into it.
- as for medications, I take birth control pills (LoEstren), a multivitamin and acidophelous pills daily, and Vyvanse (an ADHD medication) a few times a week. Advil as needed for migraines and before I work out (to prevent migraines), as well as an inhaler before I work out.
I hope I've been helpful.
Thanks for providing more information.
Well as you describe you need to be seen by an Orthopedist/regular doctor for a clinical examination and undergo CBC,ESR,S.Uric acid,RA factor,CRP,ANA to rule out underlying possible cause which may include Gout,Pseudogout,Arthrits,nerve impingement..
As you have history of swollen toe,bump on wrist so gout should be ruled out in your case.
Even prolonged use of computer,writing can be contributing factors.
As you have tried self care measures with little relief so further a clinical examination by a doctor should be considered in your case.
I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Those are a lot of initials you've tossed out (though I know what uric acid is - gout is a collection of uric acid. could you clarify what those things are please? also, can you tell me what pseudogout is? I've never heard of it before. and aren't I a little young for gout and arthritis?
Gout is a kind of arthritis that occurs when uric acid builds up in blood and fluid around the joints (synovial fluid), uric acid crystals form and affects usually big toe,wrist,joints of hands.
Pseudogout is caused by the collection of salt called calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate (CPPD) forms crystals in the joints resulting pain.
Rheumatoid arthritis also affects small joints resulting in pain,stiffness,fatigue however on both sides of the body equally.
Other possible cause may include compression of nerves in their path resulting pain and prolonged use of computer,writing can be contributing factors.

So further complete clinical examination should be considered in your case.

I hope this helps.
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor