Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Muscle spasms in the vaginal area. Its not sexually related.

Muscle spasms in the vaginal area. It's not sexually related. Can it be anxiety related? Actually lasted for 4 hrs. on Mon. night so, went to the ER @5:00am Tues. Couldn't find anything wrong in xray or sonogram. Fine all day Wed. but, symptoms returned for two hrs. this morning. What's going on?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Muscle spasms indicate involuntary contraction of the muscles concerned. The cause can be varied. I would like to rule out - irritation of the nerve concerned {at the spine level or at its course}, diabetes, vitamin deficiency/ reduced blood flow to the muscles {secondary to atherosclerosis or spasm at the vessels}/ mineral deficiency, dehydration or may be infection at the vagina, cervix or pelvis/ excess use of the muscles. Before putting it on anxiety I would like to rule out above causes.

Few investigations like blood tests/ MRI for Lumbar spine may help.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ seitz bath may help/ take your daily vitamin pill/ stay away from anxiety {yoga, meditation help}.

Please do not worry, you will be fine.

Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had lots of blood work in ER. Do not have diabetes, infection or dehydration. I am bipolar and am in transition from Effexor ER to Emsam so, am currently off all meds. I called my shrink and he said he never heard of this situation in regards XXXXX XXXXX from Effexor. Can anxiety manifest itself in such an unusual way?
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Yes, anxiety may present with such a symptom too. I would get x ray for lumbar spine followed by MRI to rule out irritation of the nerve.

Best
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How would this nerve just suddenly become problematic. How does the lumbar spine figure into this equation.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Let me explain a bit.

The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertbral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like muscle spasms or stiffness/ pain / numbness due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.

Best